99 Remote mount CD player not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still going through variety of testing on my "new" 99 Suburban.
I noticed tonight that the CD player doesn't seem to work.
Here's what happens:
It pulls CD in, the display on the head unit says CD, and I hear the CD "whirring" in the dash. Then the head unit flashes ERR and ejects the CD. I tried 2 different CDs. Any ideas if this is repairable, or do I just have a dead unit?

This stereo
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's probably just dead unfortunately. Exact same thing happened to the factory CD player in my red truck. It wasn't a remote unit, but rather the CD player integrated into the main unit on top. Exact same symptoms though.

EDIT - If you have an electronics repair place in your area, you could always take it up to them. I saved mine and always planned on doing this as it's in pretty decent shape otherwise. Be prepared to pay them $50 just to tell you it's going to cost $200 to fix it though. I doubt very seriously it'll be a cheap enough repair to justify itself for anything other than an extremely OCD preservation thing.

Or you could just go to a yard and pull another one... Probably way easier and cheaper.

Last edited:

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you've tried more than one CD, but just in case, make sure it's the unit, and not a bad CD. Can't help but think that this could be as simple as a dirty Laser or lens in the player. I understand the dash cover snaps out fairly easily, and the CD player is also easy to remove. Since it doesn't work now, the downside of removing the casing, locating the laser and the lens, and carefully cleaning those items with Isopropyl alcohol and Q Tips may be well worth it.

I enjoy having the OEM divorced CD player in my 98 pickup, and I hope you manage to resurrect your unit. Keep us posted.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind going aftermarket, but this stupid 1.5DIN has me flummoxed. I don't really like the look of single DIN put in, and the double DIN conversion is a little more invasive than I want..

It's strange since it lights up, and clearly the head unit recognizes it..

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen that, but the head-unit itself seems to work fine. May eventually go with the 1DIN solution and just deal with the cosmetics..

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
The one in my wife's burb quit a couple of years ago so I went to a Pick-A-Part and looked at several,found one that was pretty clean and bought it.Swapped it out the next day and it worked fine.I may have gotten lucky though.