98 Vortec....vacuum at pass side breather tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OffroadZ71

Reaction score
Got a 98 Z71 5.7....99% sure I've got the lower intake leaking, losing good amount of coolant. Anyways pulled pass side breather tube off of Intake tube and had significant vacuum. Got a bad cylinder 4 misfire from 1600 rpm to 2000 rpm stuck a bore gauge In cylinder 4 and can tell its burning coolant...light brown tan colored deposits on top off piston not black.

So I shouldn't be getting alot of vacuum through that tube right?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a 98 Z71 5.7....

Kudos for having a Z71!

Stupid question: do you believe that the Z71 5.7 is different from the 4x4 5.7 or the 2wd 5.7, or the extended cab 5.7, or the stepside 5.7, or the dually 5.7?
I thought the 1998 5.7 was the same 5.7 regardless of what chassis it was in...

By the way, in 1999 and '00 you could get the Z71 package on a Tahoe, but I suspect yours is a pickup, and 1500 to boot?

99% sure I've got the lower intake leaking, losing good amount of coolant.

OK, as long as you've ruled out any other internal leak, replace the gaskets.

Anyways pulled pass side breather tube off of Intake tube and had significant vacuum.

You should when its running. The intake tube connects the throttle body to the air filter...
Oh, dont do that. An unmetered vacuum leak between the MAF and the throttle body may set a SES light, and cause the engine to run poorly.

Got a bad cylinder 4 misfire from 1600 rpm to 2000 rpm stuck a bore gauge In cylinder 4 and can tell its burning coolant...light brown tan colored deposits on top off piston not black.

Burning coolant should basically steam clean the piston. Light brown sounds normal operation, as opposed to running rich causing black soot covering the piston.

So I shouldn't be getting alot of vacuum through that tube right?

Again, you should have vacuum there.

Last edited: