98 tahoe 5.7L starts for 1 sec and dies (video inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My spare key is just a plain jane metal key without any special on it so I would assume the truck does not have any factory theft deterrent system.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little update:

The truck has successfully started every single time so far since this happened. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it did that. The truck does not have an OEM theft deterrent system or an aftermarket alarm so it baffles me as to what caused this.

Sent from my piece of crap iPhone using Tapatalk

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Model year 1998 came equipped with Passlock. I can't see the security light illuminated in the upper right hand corner of the instrument cluster per the video you posted.Normally the light should come on momentarily when the key is rotated from the off position to the run position(bulb check). If the engine stalls due to the Passlock, the security light should be illuminated and or flashing after the engine stalls(as seen in the video below), assuming that the light is functioning correctly / not burned out / removed / security fuse is in place etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDRwkEFLq-U

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No security light illuminates in my dash when I turn the key forward. I do not know if the bulb is burnt out. I'll have to check it out when I get a chance.

I do not have the OEM glove box to my truck either so it's impossible for me to check RPO codes.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mattilac, is that your personal video?

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Mattilac, is that your personal video?

No, that is not my video.

I had to replace the theft deterrent module(aka:evo/passlock module)in my 1999 pickup.

evo/passlock module connector layout:

pin A1 BRN ckt#1295 evo solenoid output
pin A2 not used
pin A3 WHT ckt#1294 evo solenoid feed
pin A4 not used
pin A5 RED/WHT ckt#812 reference voltage feed
pin A6 not used
pin A7 LT BLU ckt#1059 steering wheel position sensor
pin A8 DK GRN/WHT ckt#817 steering wheel position sensor
pin B1 BLK/WHT ckt#451 VCM/PCM ground
pin B2 YEL ckt#749 security lamp output
pin B3 PNK ckt#39 fuse output IGN1
pin B4 PPL ckt#1807 serial data class B 10400 baud
pin B5 ORN/BLK ckt#1057 sensor return
pin B6 GRY ckt#705 5 volt reference
pin B7 YEL ckt#1836 magnetic rotation detection sensor signal
pin B8 ORN ckt#1740 fuse output battery

You must be registered for see images

# 10 in the image above is the theft deterrent module/evo passlock module, image/data provided by gmpartsgiant.com
Your Chevrolet: Tahoe 1998 4WD Change Vehicle
Applied Filters: CK10706 L31 M30 See Description Edit Filters to Narrow Down Results
Section
CAB AND BODY PARTS, WIPERS, MIRRORS, DOORS, TRIM, SEAT BELTS

Select another section to see more components.
Component
INSTRUMENT PANEL & RELATED PARTS PART 2 - CK

010 **264955 MODULE,THEFT DTRNT(EVO MODULE) CK105,107(EXC RHD) 98 $143.74

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pr...orIndexID=16&minorIndexID=TC16-101&SortKey=31

As a test, if a person was to unplug the module and then rotate the key to run position, then using a fused jumper wire, ground "pin B2 YEL ckt#749 security lamp output" at the connector, I imagine that security lamp should illuminate if the bulb was good.

Food for thought.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just went back and re read all the post here and I do not know why I never mentioned this but my truck had a remote starter/alarm system in it when I bought it last May. I believe it was a Cliffford 5000 or something. I was having a LOT of voltage drain issues with the truck and tracked it down to a lot of ty wiring connections throughout the truck. There was so many that I decided to remove every single aftermarket device and wiring from the truck that did not belong there. I removed the alarm and auto start as well. The truck fired right up after this was done and I everything worked as it should since then.
I do not know what exactly was done to the factory security system when the aftermarket auto start was installed but I am assuming that it was somehow bypassed. The Security light does NOT light up on my dash. I do not know if the bulb was removed or is burnt out. I also do not know if the light comes on when an aftermarket auto starter/alarm is installed which would aggervate the owner and prompt them to remove the bulb. I will make an attempt to look under the dash for any factory security devices and go from there.
Im just nervous that this problem will come back again and leave me stuck somewhere.