98 tahoe 5.7L starts for 1 sec and dies (video inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
98 tahoe 5.7L Vortec engine.

got out of work today and went to start my truck and it would run for 1 second and then just die. Giving it a little throttle did nothing at all. I tried starting it about 15 times with no luck and then it just fired up like it was supposed to. I drove home, it off and it fired back up 4 more times without any issues. I think its something electronic because the engine would not respond to any throttle input. It was as if I was never trying to give it more throttle just as it turned over. truck ran fine prior to this.

Door chime is going off because the door is open. FWIW, it started after I closed the damn door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfB9OO55RCM&feature=share&list=UUbyJKvMKlmss8hi6Y2XqvMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfB9OO55RCM&feature=share&list=UUbyJKvMKlmss8hi6Y2XqvMQ

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not to go off your issue with your truck,the case tractor did you buy that at the swap meet in mansfield a few years ago?

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not to go off your issue with your truck,the case tractor did you buy that at the swap meet in mansfield a few years ago?

no. I bought it about 4 years ago from northern RI. I sold it a couple years ago. I have two others still.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one video I have of me snowblowing is a tractor I still own. I have a couple videos of some other Case tractors that have since been sold.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok just curious dont see many of those around and a few years ago my girlfriends cousin sold one at the mansfield swap meet

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It used to have a remote starter in it but I removed it a year ago. No idea on a factory alarm. All I have is a OEM black GM key

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
whats weird is that it fired right up after I closed the door and the interior lights shut off. It could be a coincidence but it could be something related too. Its going to bother me now because I wont want to shut the truck off when I make pit stops here and there. Hope it starts tomorrow morning so I can go to work

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there is a write up on here about passlock and how to disable it Your truck is doing the same thing a 99 obs tahoe I was installing a remote starter in and the info in that post was helpful to correct my issue I'll try to find it and repost it here,you could call dealer with vin and they could tell you if it definitely has it

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try calling tomorrow. My truck does not have the original glove box so I do not have the RPO codes.