98 Silverado 5.7l v8 power loss.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh lindon

Reaction score
I'm running 4.56:1 gears and 35" tires with a built transmission, and a mild performance torque converter between the engine and transmission. I chirped the inside read tire yesterday on dry pavement rounding a corner coming off a red light during "spirited" driving. Otherwise, the only times I've lost straight line traction due to wheel torque is on wet road.

I'm sure a truck with 3.73's and 35's will have a very soggy launch. Did your truck behave differently before the transmission work? Did you do anything else to the truck while the transmission was being serviced?
That's the thing. I honestly can't remember how it drove before hand. If I recall correctly when I had my stock rear end with a 3.73 if I floored it I could spin the tires from a stop. I put a 3.73 14 bolt G80 in it after my differential grenaded. After 4 days of driving that my 3-4 pack went out and put a Raybestos rebuild kit in it. While doing that i was able to put an extra clutch or two in the 3-4 pack. I haven't driven the truck in months until now.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
The tire size does a lot, my studed winter tires are 235/75 16" and my summer tires are 265/70 17" (Cooper STT) and there is a very noticable difference in getting it to move, the smaller the tires are the easier it moves. The Cooper STT's are about 31.5" and mine also have 3.73 gears, the first time I drove it with the STT's it felt like I left half the engine at the tire mounting place.