98 Silverado 5.7l v8 power loss.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh lindon

Reaction score
I have a 1998 k1500 Silverado. About a week into owning it I rebuilt the transmission in it with Raybestos clutch packs. Because of school it took me months to do so I forgot how the truck drove. Is it normal for me to floor it and it not take off? It doesn't stutter or have any problems however it doesn't get up and go for how I expected. The motor gas 213,000 miles on it. The Trans and t case have 650 miles with 35" tires and a 3" body lift.

Josh lindon

Reaction score
What gears?
So far the only one I've tried is just shifting automatically. After I rebuilt the Trans it shifts so smooth it's hard to tell when it is shifting. But once it gets going it's gone. I just have a slow start. After I do my water pump tomorrow I'll try manually shifting and see if there is a difference.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
35" tires, stock gears, stock motor, 5000 lb vehicle not built to be fast. lol.

By "not taking off", I'm assuming you mean no neck snapping launches or 100' burnouts, not that you floor it and it just sits there, that would be a different problem entirely.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Stock gears, either 3.42s or 3.73s, you should be able to chirp them with 35's and 3.73s, with a built tranny (or so I've been told). I can't, even with 4.56s but my motor and tranny are tired as hell (both are out of commission atm).

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I'm running 4.56:1 gears and 35" tires with a built transmission, and a mild performance torque converter between the engine and transmission. I chirped the inside read tire yesterday on dry pavement rounding a corner coming off a red light during "spirited" driving. Otherwise, the only times I've lost straight line traction due to wheel torque is on wet road.

I'm sure a truck with 3.73's and 35's will have a very soggy launch. Did your truck behave differently before the transmission work? Did you do anything else to the truck while the transmission was being serviced?

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I'm running 4.56:1 gears and 35" tires with a built transmission, and a mild performance torque converter between the engine and transmission. I chirped the inside read tire yesterday on dry pavement rounding a corner coming off a red light during "spirited" driving. Otherwise, the only times I've lost straight line traction due to wheel torque is on wet road.

I'm sure a truck with 3.73's and 35's will have a very soggy launch. Did your truck behave differently before the transmission work? Did you do anything else to the truck while the transmission was being serviced?

What stall are you running? Just so I understand, you can't get your tires to chirp on launch even when purposely trying too? With your setup that is.

-Sorry for the thread jack.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I'm running an OEM converter for a '96 S10 with 4.3L V6. Torque converters stall at varying rates based on engine output, so the converter stalls at higher rpm behind a 350 than it does behind a 4.3L. I guess it stalls at around 1800 or 2000 rpm.

You understand right, no breaking traction on dry pavement. Perhaps I could once full exhaust is done and once I get the tune corrected, but not now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDont