98 running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 z-71 is running rich any idea why? It has both new front o2 sensors. Thanks

bobfig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats the one for the ecm. the one for the gauge is in the driver side head.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You may want to check the actual thermostat that's in the truck. Maybe it's got a really cold one so it's running rich.

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you may want to check your spider valve also....I smelled fuel all the time..especially on a cold start so I dismissed it for a while...My spider was leaking.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spider and thermostat are fairly new. Replaced last year when I put the new engine in.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to messing with my truck the other day and I hooked my scanner up to it and the scanner says it is running at 194 while the gauge reads about 160 so I'm thinking there is nothing wrong with the temp sensor up front Any other ideas why it might be running rich?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a rich code or does it just smell rich? Is it blowing black smoke? Poorer than normal fuel economy? What tells you that it's rich?