98 or 99-02 radio with built in cd player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am wanting a new radio with a built in cd player so I can get rid of the external one. Has to be from a 98 or a 99, not sure exactly, so 98-02 radio from a truck or one that will work in my 97 GMC. Would like it to be in good shape, if none of the backlights work, that's fine with me. Would like it to have all of the dials and no buttons worn off, but I can deal with it if it is. It would have to be shipped to 52040. Thank you, let me know what you have!

Josh

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
why not just aftermarket cd player? brand new ones are quite affordable now and have WAY MORE OPTIONS that are basic options now! like auxilary inputs and ipod ready.
just a better option IMO

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why not just aftermarket cd player? brand new ones are quite affordable now and have WAY MORE OPTIONS that are basic options now! like auxilary inputs and ipod ready.
just a better option IMO

I like the look of the stock radio and how all of the dials for everything is right there. I don't want to have to click through a menu to get to the fade. I haven't found an aftermarket radio that I like the look of yet.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
Well to each there own I guess. But honestly how many times do you adjust the fade? ;) that's something I adjust once and leave it myself. And theft ya if you have a expensive flip out radio unit maybe... But I've had double dins and flip outs and even regular CD players. And I've never had a theft! I've also had basic alarm systems most the time.
Also theft.... Another reason why almost all CD players have detachable faces so if you in a bad area pu the face off and take it with you! ;)
So the theft thing doesn't fly very well. Just an excuse. You got a better chance of gas theft than a jacked radio.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well to each there own I guess. But honestly how many times do you adjust the fade? ;) that's something I adjust once and leave it myself. And theft ya if you have a expensive flip out radio unit maybe... But I've had double dins and flip outs and even regular CD players. And I've never had a theft! I've also had basic alarm systems most the time.
Also theft.... Another reason why almost all CD players have detachable faces so if you in a bad area pu the face off and take it with you! ;)
So the theft thing doesn't fly very well. Just an excuse. You got a better chance of gas theft than a jacked radio.

No, it depends on where you live.

Smashed windows and torn open dashes aren't an everyday thing, but they're common in several places I've lived. It's an easy smash and grab along with anything else they can snatch. Where I live right now, "limo" tinted windows means you wonder when your window will get smashed, not if. The reasoning here is if you have limo tint, you must have something worth hiding in there and thus: worth stealing. So: smash,look, nothing, walk on. b@s@rds.

Of course, those big "kenwood" or "alpine" style window stickers don't help any either....:rolleyes:

I know of 4 places across the country where I've lived that I can drop in to right now and pick up an aftermarket radio "cheap", complete with ragged wire ends.

They don't even bother with a stock head unit. No market, not worth the trouble. I've been told so by a couple guys whole are "wholesalers"...:nono:

I've also been told to my face aftermarket is 99% of the time easier to yank. Factory stuff worth anything is securely attached for the most part with spring clips, screws, etc into the dash structure in at least 4 places, even if it is dash plastic (oem's are chasing dash squeaks and noise with robust mounting but it makes for solid mounting and harder ripping = more hassle for a unit that's not worth stealing in the first place). Aftermarket is usually in a "dash kit" which shatters quickly and slides right out when "handled" right. Pop the dash bezel, grab, rip, gone.....

Conversely: gas theft is pretty rare in most places I've lived. When it does happen, it's a specially built rig (ie: van with a hole in the floor and a big tank) at a gas station stealing from the tanks.

So yeah, theft does fly....:p

Removable face plates are an option for sure, if you want to be carrying the face of your radio around with you that is.....PITA IMHO....I can't stand carrying a phone and a wallet around. I can't imaging a radio face plate too. You'd need a "murse" or maybe a stylish fanny pack.....:rofl:

Bottom line, pay your money, be happy with your choice, deal with whatever happens afterwards....

:)

To try and get back on topic:

to the OP - check the "free" thread. I seem to recall someone was looking to give one away for the price of shipping in there.....

Last edited:

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
You don't have to carry the face around with you. If someone's window peaking they will just see it gone. They are not gonna risk it if they don't see it! And again that's why alarms are so worth it again.
I've lived and parked in bad neighborhoods and such and with simple stuff most won't even risk it. Hell just get a alarm led scanner and hook up to ignition source. And I'm not talking about a tiny one led blinking fake! I have a varad scanner. It's very visa lee and says you got an alarm move onto the next easy score....
But we can talk about theft all day long... If someone wants your ride or anything in or on it they can get it!!!! That's why you should have insurance!
I know I'm covered! And I got two 15s in the back highly visible and my alpine flip out always open. It doesn't bother me! I also have my bolted in so even if they damage the hell a outta my truck or those parts.... They aren't gonna get my good lmfao. The extra time and thought spent installing anything is worth it a million fold! Cause in the end they didn't get a dam thing so they failed and risk jail time if caught still!

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I bought a Yukon denali today and it has a 6disc cd changer in it so I don't need this thread anymore!