'98 L-29 INJECTOR BLOW-OUT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Twice I have had injectors blow out of the fuel rail. cold engine both times thankfully. These are upgrade ls style same lenght as the fatboys .. Anyone else had / have this issue? It is disturbing at best. I have now wired them as well as all factory clips are in place properly. all tabs in good shape as well.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could it possibly be an issue with the injector not fully seating in the rail? What brand of injectors did you put in? LS1 upgraded? 5O Motorsports? Ford injectors?
@Mangonesailor @Supercharged111 @Christian Steffen What do y'all think?
Very well can be the problem, I do not know the origin of them, in a bag in the back seat when I got it. I did double check the length and fitment. I did notice the o-ring felt soft though. Had new o-rings from a 5.3 gasket set I replaced it with.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the oring's are not correct durameter specified they will not fit with the proper compression tension. Size can be right, orings measured " id x ring thicknes", but neglected to use right blend for hardness= durameter measure, and type chemical use.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SO, the length of the "injector" from the top and bottom of the OD's of the o-rings is the same? Or is it off a bit? I'm about 99% certain I had to use spacers with my new injectors for them to seal.

Your o-rings may also not be the correct durometer, sure... but they could also be off .1 to .2mm and most not looking close enough would never catch it.

I say buy new o-rings, under your truck's configuration... not anything 5.3 or LS... and use them.

Also post the PN of the injectors. It's molded into the body where the wiring connectors plug in.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SO, the length of the "injector" from the top and bottom of the OD's of the o-rings is the same? Or is it off a bit? I'm about 99% certain I had to use spacers with my new injectors for them to seal.

Your o-rings may also not be the correct durometer, sure... but they could also be off .1 to .2mm and most not looking close enough would never catch it.

I say buy new o-rings, under your truck's configuration... not anything 5.3 or LS... and use them.

Also post the PN of the injectors. It's molded into the body where the wiring connectors plug in.
Will do, I will look and see if I have a picture with me. or will need to do it later.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would agree that o-rings seem most likely. AFAIK the different height injectors from the newer stuff will be too far off without a spacer to even reach the rail.
You must be registered for see images attach

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another possibility, they're some out of spec Chinese junk? Hard to say for sure but worth checking PNs. Iirc Bosch stuff should have a 2d barcode on it, scan the code and see where it takes you.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
THe one in it are a red /orange cooler similar to the white ones above. but are extremely close in length. I will not be able to do anything with this truck for a couple weeks though.