'98 K2500 ECSB L29 NV4500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
I wonder why that wasn't a more popular option. They're pretty rad, especially at night during a heavy snow fall. Have a buddy who ordered a 1995 LD 2500 stick shift brand new. Only options he requested were the clearance lights and the 350.
I put a set on my 1500 solely for the look. Kinda surprised they weren't standard on the 3/4 and 1 tons. I installed mine to just come on with all the other marker lights, only lights I've added that aren't on any kind of switch actually

I was never able to keep the bulbs from burning out in mine. I wish my truck didn't have them.... there's no good reason to poke holes in a roof, in my opinion.
I get where you're coming from as far as drilling holes, but the rest kinda confuses me. I've been running amber LED 194 bulbs from Philips since day one and haven't had a problem. Every 6 months or so I take them all off, inspect the roof, reapply some sealant and bolt them back in. Curious why you wish you didn't have them?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I put a set on my 1500 solely for the look. Kinda surprised they weren't standard on the 3/4 and 1 tons. I installed mine to just come on with all the other marker lights, only lights I've added that aren't on any kind of switch actually

I think they're standard on duallies because of width.

I get where you're coming from as far as drilling holes, but the rest kinda confuses me. I've been running amber LED 194 bulbs from Philips since day one and haven't had a problem. Every 6 months or so I take them all off, inspect the roof, reapply some sealant and bolt them back in. Curious why you wish you didn't have them?

There are zero positives I can associate with them, and several negatives. There's no way, I'm going to remove, inspect, and seal cab lights every six months. This isn't a case of me expecting parts to last forever. My truck is a 99, and I bought it in 99, with 6K miles on it. I was chasing blown cab light bulbs when it was still a new truck. I finally gave up.... they've all been out for years now.

I should do something about them. I get water running down the A-pillar if it rains a lot.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What you couldn't see in the pictures.. on purpose.. was the light bar po put on. By drilling 3/8 holes through the roof. It is gone now holes are sealed for now. Had thought about a custom overlanding style roof rack , but undecided on that.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hmm, I never checked to see if ours leaked. I did paint the roof and hood and at that time I took them off- no signs of leakage. Factory ordered though- so no Jim-Bob hack job going on.

Yep, standard on dualies due to federal regulation stuff. Sun/moon roof was never a factory option on these. If you do see one with one of those, run.

454cid, maybe you should just sell yours to me. Is it a stickershift??

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The sun roof option was really rare from what I've seen. Wouldn't there still be enough space for marker lights though?
On the GMT400? I don't think they came with that option that I'm aware of, but have seen some retrofitted with them, probably from the later generation trucks.

My 06 Suburban has that moonroof...and it also leaks a bit. I think it's a drain tube that clogs? I haven't messed with mine to see if that's the problem. The ONLY time I have used it is when we went to Christmas lights drive-thru...my kids popped through the moonroof. Heck, I couldn't even figure out how to fully open the darn thing. My 9 year old son figured it out though, LOL.

Otherwise I don't ever open it. And it does lower the headroom a bit.