98 K2500 7.4 upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ray K

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 on an L29 7.4? I will be rebuilding soon and changing the cam. I thought about new injectors and a Jet tuner with the stock ECM, but maybe the whole Edelbrock package would be good...I don’t know. What do guys think? 85% daily driver, but do like to pull the 23 foot camper occasionally..

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used Edelbrock EStreet 2 which was their cheapest system they offered in 2016. I have always had an annoying dead spot just off idle. Seems to perform well in all other aspects. The system is no longer supported, which means the app no longer works on current Android OS. Honestly, I think the stock throttle body and computer can make every bit as much power and is really well supported.

After 2 different builds with OEM throttle body injection and the one build with Edelbrock, I think I am pretty well sold on using GMs fuel system over aftermarket.

Your Vortec intake probably flows well and can be made to work really well, I just have not built one of those year trucks yet.

Ray K

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to reply…other irons in the fire..etc.
Thanks for the advice. Since my last post, I had a couple lifter failures - lost the hard surface on the rollers and began to to slide at times making a very unusual noise. Caught it before it was a catastrophe (it was still running well) but cam damage was done. At 188K miles and due to parts shortages, I only replaced cam, lifters, timing set and distributor while it was down. All OEM parts. I did pull one main bearing apart and without a decent micrometer to measure (and oil pressure has been good) felt they looked decent and buttoned it back up. Still thinking about doing a complete overhaul but think I have bought some time. Any thoughts?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're wanting to do a full rebuild and still have the motor out, do it. If you decide just to run it, you're likely good for another 100k.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agree with just running it. On the proflow, i think the intake it self would be a benefit to use, but the rest would use gm(injectors, ecu, sensors)