98 Fuel guage bouncing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rantler

Reaction score
Hi all. My 98 has a shakey gas gauge, from what I research the air core motor is the issue. Right now the needle just kinda shakes around as i drive down the road, and doesnt jump around just yet.

Are there places to get new aircore motors to replace these? Or do I need to source it from an ol wreck?

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought some awhile back from a seller on Ebay. Not sure if they still sell them but you could do a search. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, they can be found but the F ( that stands for fuel) motor is the most expensive and hardest to find. Dont bother with a used one. Chances are, you will be rote back too a bouncing needle. The link that @sewlow posted has a lot if good info

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The info the sewlow posted about injecting RC car diff fluid into the motor actually works. I had done that at one point and it worked great, lasted maybe a year or so and started it again. I had found the new "f" marked stepper motors and replaced mine. I checked the seller I used on Ebay and he doesn't have thise anymore.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The info the sewlow posted about injecting RC car diff fluid into the motor actually works. I had done that at one point and it worked great, lasted maybe a year or so and started it again. I had found the new "f" marked stepper motors and replaced mine. I checked the seller I used on Ebay and he doesn't have thise anymore.

Thats what I did last time. Worked grate for a while. Slowly the bouncing gauge returned. Still not as bad as it was, but bouncing a good bit rite now. I need to swap out the other gauge I have that I also repaired at the dame time.