98 diesel starting problem - as posted on GMfullsize

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rustwrks

Reaction score
Having Starter Trouble ...

I was looking for help on finding a wiring diagram for my '98 Sierra 2500 diesel 4X4. I contacted dealership, no dice they don't even sell one - could buy CDrom B.S. @ $400.00 from publisher, f-that thank you. And online crap is just that. So does anyone happen to have a detail on the ignition/starter wiring system.

Just replaced the starter last week thinking it/solenoid was the problem, but still have same issue...

Original situation:
Truck sat un-started since last drive for about 2 weeks, I hooked up my jumper and charged to the 'slave' battery as advised by GM, batteries both took a 12+ volt charge, ground and positive cables still in great shape. All of the dash lights come on, glow-plug indicator light does its thing as normal, when I advance the key to 'run' all I get is the classic loud 'CLICK' but no cranking. Tried it again with 50amp jumpstart setting on charger, no difference, same click.

We checked the starter leads - power/voltage good at starter/pos. - but NO voltage to the starter/signal wire. From there everything disappears back into the harness and hard to trace.

Does anyone have voltage test points for the relays or fuse block or any other ideas?

Thanks!!

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sure its not the batteries? being this cold out i had the same issue with my 94 6.5td. batt tested good most of the time got new ones never had a problem and i tried everything before that. id double check those batteries man.

rustwrks

Reaction score
Its not a bad idea, I did have a similar prob/fix a few years ago until I swapped in these (current) optima batteries, new pos./neg. cables too and it started. maybe these have just given up the ghost...but it still doesn't explain why the signal wire has no voltage - right???
-thanks

Last edited:

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
your right. i wouldnt rush out and buy new batteries. but i would take them out and have them checked at the dealership or autozone where ever. i had a strange reading of resistance on the pos cable going to my starter from the battery. i dont think thats the same wire though. but either way i got the new batteries and i didnt have the problem after that. you said you replaced the whole starter and solenoid right? so that should take that off the list of things to worry about. you could try using a jumper wire to your starter to check and see if it is somthing in the harness also i do belive. let me know if this works and ill keep thinking of other ideas!

1996 yukon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds dumb, but is the piece around the wire on the starter broken?