98 chevy k2500 ext cab auto to manual using older 93 nv3500 donor truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyaholic

Reaction score
So here's what I'm planning, I have a 98 k2500 ext cab 4x4 auto push button transfer case truck that I plan on swapping out to a nv3500. I know the 4500 is way stronger already, but I can get the whole truck cheap, I'm gonna rob the pedals and transmission transfer case, I already bought a newer steering column and am aware that I might have to reprogram the computer? Probably will have to outsource driveshaft lengthening, my question is how much of a pain is it to use the earlier Gen clutch pedals, vs just buying year specific? Obviously there's not alot of other compatible parts with mine being a vortec and the other truck a tbi, so I'm weighing my options. I'd rather just have a 96-99 to pull on parts from but not afraid to just buy each part individually either. I have time not in a rush just something I want to get done by next summer/warmer weather

CumminsBronco

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it's worth, as my situation was slightly different....I have a 97 K1500 Suburban. It was a 5.7 Vortec automatic pushbutton t-case. I converted to manual trans when I did the 5.9 Cummins swap. I used the pedals from a 92 or 93 pickup. The Suburban had all the mounting bolt hole locations up under the dash. I did this in 2011 so my memory is a bit foggy. I swapped in the brake pedal from the manual trans truck too. Maybe the most difficult part for me was mounting the hydraulic clutch master cyl and linkage from pedal to master cyl, as I used the Dodge diesel cyl. I would think yours would be easier with the GM master cyl and all.

Chevyaholic

Reaction score
OK great thanks I've never done this swap in these generation trucks but have done 3 I believe square bodies, always used the hydraulic clutches on them and I would also be swapping the brake pedals too, I think.it just makes it look like it fits, not a fan of leaving a big brake pedal.

Chevyaholic

Reaction score
Also i.plan on just buying everything else new, the master and slave, the hydraulic line that runs between them, and obvious new clutch and pressure plate, flywheel ect.

CumminsBronco

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My concern when I did mine was that I would have to fabricate a place to hang the pedal. I didn't know if Suburbans would have had the clutch pedal mounting locations pre-existing. I work in a truck assembly plant and I know that sometimes there are completely different floorpans/dash assemblys and other frame components that are different between manual and auto trucks. Luckily, gmt400's were generally designed with many components able to be built either way...manual or auto

Chevyaholic

Reaction score
Yea it makes things alot easier for Shure. Even the old squares had indentations in the cab for the master cylinder and clutch pedal bracket.(1985 + and up models) so that made it much quicker.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're also gonna need an entire new engine harness from an OBD2 truck. The ECM connector to the electronic automatic tranny wont work with a manual, you'll have a ton of PCM codes, and the engine will be stuck in limp mode.

Leave the auto alone, sell it and buy a manual transmission truck.

Chevyaholic

Reaction score
I was going to use the tranny and transfer out of the donor truck, it's just a mechanical linkage. If I have to swap in the harness I will, definitely not buying another truck I dont give up that easily

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to use the tranny and transfer out of the donor truck, it's just a mechanical linkage. If I have to swap in the harness I will, definitely not buying another truck I dont give up that easily
Mechanically, it will bolt together. However, the PRNDL switch on the automatic tranny tells the PCM what gear you're in. The engine wont start unless the PCM sees park or neutral from said position switch.