98 C1500 with 305, backfired on freeway and quit running???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I pulled the sensor, and it is the magnetic type sensor, we ohmed it out and there was no change in ohms when we touched the magnet part of the sensor with a piece of metal, am I right that there should be a change in ohms???? Any thoughts????
For future reference, it doesn't change the ohms. You need to spin the distributor and check it on the AC voltage scale (like home wiring) with an analog volt meter. As the reluctor moves past the sensor it changes the magnetic field which produces a signal. The needle on the volt meter will oscillate back and forth as the reluctor breaks the magnetic field.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
For future reference, it doesn't change the ohms. You need to spin the distributor and check it on the AC voltage scale (like home wiring) with an analog volt meter. As the reluctor moves past the sensor it changes the magnetic field which produces a signal. The needle on the volt meter will oscillate back and forth as the reluctor breaks the magnetic field.

Yeah, I found out after I ohmed it out that it was a Hall Effect type sensor, therefore, my test result were invalid.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
At first when I got it running again, it idled high, found the vacuum line to the PCV broke, repaired it, now it idles normal, still trying to weed out the higher RPM miss, I suspect the Autolite plugs....