98 C1500 with 305, backfired on freeway and quit running???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
As the title says, my 1998 C1500 with the 305 backfired and quit running while on the freeway at about 70mph. Now it wont start, it will sorta sputter but never really fire off. I just put a new distributor in it a week ago (ran great afterwards), and I tried starting fluid, which just causes it to backfire thru the intake.....next I turned the distributor CCW, and no luck, so I turned it CW as far as I could until it hit the intake, and it got a little closer to starting...but no go. I am positive that my plugs, wires, coil, rotor, cap, distributor and fuel pressure is good....what now???? Do you think it jumped time (truck has 293K on original engine), or maybe a crank sensor, and if its the crank sensor, wouldnt it throw a code? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated before I go and tear into the timing chain and gears, thanks in advance!

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you pull the plugs and spin it over to top dead center and reset the timing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even better yet did you spin it around to top dead center and look and see where the rotor is pointing? It should be pointing at where number one is at on the inside of the distributor cap.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That too! Because if it's backfiring it is firing at the wrong time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frito-bandito

Reaction score
I honestly did not do that as of yet, but the housing has not turned since I installed it (unitil I attempted to troubleshoot it when she died), I will get out there and get TDC tomorrow and see where the rotor is pointing.... it should be pointing in the area of the "8" marking inside of the dist at TDC if I understood this correctly http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo....gmtruckcentral.com/articles/distributor.html

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Ok update, I set the engine at TDC, and my rotor is still set at the "8" which is where it is supposed to be, so then I start thinking crankshaft position sensor, so I hook up a scanner and found a P1345 camshaft and crankshaft sensors out of correlation. So I pulled the sensor, and it is the magnetic type sensor, we ohmed it out and there was no change in ohms when we touched the magnet part of the sensor with a piece of metal, am I right that there should be a change in ohms???? Any thoughts????

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I was home I could tell you what the GM service manuals say. I have the ones the dealers use for the 98

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Well she's up and running, new ICM, then only had spark on the right side of the engine, so I stepped up and bought an Accel distributor cap. Had the bright idea to pull the distributor again and properly set the timing, after fighting with that (a lot of cussing) I finally go it as close as I could without having the can sensor readings. It pulls and gets up to speed great....but at 70 mph or 2000 rpms, it has a small mis-fire. Hoping it's just a plug wire I didn't push back on enough.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo