98 C1500 HAVC blower intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Sills

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had lost one of the lower fan speeds some time ago and all of a sudden none will work or it works intermittently. Even on high doesn't work and I don't hear the fan running. Does this sound like the fan motor or resistor or both?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Losing individual speeds is *almost* always resistor failure. Not always, though. It can also be the fan switch or its harness connections burning up. If it is the switch, it's replaceable individually without having to buy a whole new control head, btw. But yes, your first suspect there is the resistor.

Now what caused the resistor to go bad? Sometimes it's the blower motor going bad and drawing too much current. Now with your fan completely out I'd suspect the motor itself or the power/ground connections to it as they can get oxidized and crap out.

So start with a test light or better yet a multimeter, see what your readings are at the power/ground connections for the blower motor, with the fan setting on high, and let's go from there.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need to replace what isn't broken. Troubleshoot it. The connector is right above the passenger's feet, and it's really common for the connector to get kicked off, or the connector broken, or the ground wire broken.