97 Sierra build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the trade is off , the motor in the Sierra ended up taking a dump....just my luck. The actual mileage on it was unknown, but I estimated it to be at around 300k or so given the vehicle history report and it was running fine up until yesterday. I don't have any desire to fix or rebuild it, so, I am going to look for a parts truck that I can grab the motor out of. Luckily for me, I found a 96 single cab long bed in the same color that I am going to try and pick up...given everything looks good. I can always take what I need from it and re-sell the rest for parts.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Started tearing it down....first time I am doing this, ever. Learning alot.
You must be registered for see images attach

My advice take your time take pics and use CAUTION with anything big lol. Busted my lip with the fender. Not too hard to take apart though. I had to do it when my suburban got in a crash and I had to do the repairs...smh

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The difficult part will be unbolting the trans from the motor...gotta support the trans with a jack so it's not hanging in mid air once the motor is out.
I swapped the motor in my truck with the front clip on and the tranny still sitting on the crossmember. Only thing that came off was the hood and radiator and shroud.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Made a deal with the seller, this is the parts rig i"ll be picking up on Saturday. Going to swap out the motor and take the doors, fenders, bed and anything else that's salvageable off it and then re-sell it with the parts off mine. It's a 96 2500 with the 5.7 instead of the 7.4. Which makes me wonder if it actually has a 4l80e in it or did they instead put a 4l60e for the 5.7...

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the parts truck home today. It has a title, runs drives and has only 132k. Why did I get such a good deal on it? The frame is shot unfortunately. The fenders, doors, bed and motor will be swapped over.