97 K3500 automatic to manual transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I'm converting my 97 K3500 from an automatic to a manual transmission and I have a question about how the interlock for the ignition works. When you tried to turn the key to LOCK there used to be a little lever that you'd depress to be able to do this. This function kept you from turning the key to LOCK in a panic situation. My question is, how does this function work in a vehicle with the 'fat' steering column? I have a steering column from a manual truck, but I can't see any real difference between it and my original column. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is the "fat" column the 95+ version? I'm not sure if they ever got the ignition with the little button that you have to push to get it into lock. I've seen that style ignition on some 4th gen Camaros as they all had the TBI style column.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fat column is the 95+ version. The earlier one with the thin column had the little lever I was talking about. I'd never driven a 95+ with a manual, so I don't know how it works. I could just use my auto column, but in a panic situation the key could be turned to LOCK with the vehicle still in motion.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The fat column is the 95+ version. The earlier one with the thin column had the little lever I was talking about. I'd never driven a 95+ with a manual, so I don't know how it works. I could just use my auto column, but in a panic situation the key could be turned to LOCK with the vehicle still in motion.

I've been driving for over 20 years and have yet to do that. You?

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Yes, on 95+. My truck was manual and still has it because I'm too lazy to pull my old cylinder and key my new one.