97 k1500 4wd 5.3/4l80e swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link or writeup experience or whatever about my specific year of truck? Doing some research before I get into this but there's just a lot to go through and I'd like to confirm.

1997 chevrolet k1500 silverado 4x4 extended cab.

So far I have
0411 pcm, not yet tuned
Lextech spreadsheet
Efan from a mark viii
5.3 engine
4l80e transmission from a 97 2500.
Planning on using dirty dingo mounts, have not yet purchased.

Questions
What driveshafts will work or what will I need to modify?

Do I need a different radiator/tranny cooler?
Which radiator hoses will work or will I have to modify any specific hoses?

All lines and electronics will work from the old 4l60e transmission to the new 4l80e of the same year truck?

Will stock manifolds work?
Will the stock exhaust from the truck to the manifolds work or will I need to modify? Currently has a super 44 system on it with stock cats. Wouldn't mind making some changes anyway but would prefer to wait.

Once my truck is assembled and the pcm is tuned by blackbear or similar, will it run and drive the way it is? Or will I have to have it towed to have the crankshaft position censor to be calibrated?

Current Fuel pump will work with the new engine?

Stock replacement torque converter or upgrade? Will be towing some in the future but not much.

Camaro temp sensor?

Thanks in advance.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try to answer what little I know.

Usually the driveshaft on a 2wd needs to get shortened. My nephew did a C1500 6.0/TH400 and had to get his shortened. The 4L80e is a tiny bit longer. I imagine on 4x4 it's the same.

Your radiator should be fine. One of your transmission cooler lines will need to get extended to the rear of the 4L80e, if the cooler on the unit is on the back of the case.

You have to re-pin the transmission connector for the 4L80e. It's pretty easy. Or they sell a plug adapter. You'll also have to add an additional speed sensor all the way to the ECU. Again, not that difficult. LT1swap has that information.

I don't think you'll have to mess with the camshaft position sensor on the 5.3...should be good to go with a reflash/tune.

Most likely the 5.3 came with a 4L60e, so you'll need an appropriate flexplate and the little spacer and longer bolts.

I think stock fuel pump should be okay.

I'm doing the same swap on a 2wd on the LS subforum. May want to check it out.

I hope this helps.
Does anyone have a link or writeup experience or whatever about my specific year of truck? Doing some research before I get into this but there's just a lot to go through and I'd like to confirm.

1997 chevrolet k1500 silverado 4x4 extended cab.

So far I have
0411 pcm, not yet tuned
Lextech spreadsheet
Efan from a mark viii
5.3 engine
4l80e transmission from a 97 2500.
Planning on using dirty dingo mounts, have not yet purchased.

Questions
What driveshafts will work or what will I need to modify?

Do I need a different radiator/tranny cooler?
Which radiator hoses will work or will I have to modify any specific hoses?

All lines and electronics will work from the old 4l60e transmission to the new 4l80e of the same year truck?

Will stock manifolds work?
Will the stock exhaust from the truck to the manifolds work or will I need to modify? Currently has a super 44 system on it with stock cats. Wouldn't mind making some changes anyway but would prefer to wait.

Once my truck is assembled and the pcm is tuned by blackbear or similar, will it run and drive the way it is? Or will I have to have it towed to have the crankshaft position censor to be calibrated?

Current Fuel pump will work with the new engine?

Stock replacement torque converter or upgrade? Will be towing some in the future but not much.

Camaro temp sensor?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5.3 will be a DOG in stock form with the stock gears and stock 4L80E converter..