97 chevy rcsb sleeper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last piece of the puzzle! Ive been waiting on the volts gauge to dig into the wiring, so now its go time.
You must be registered for see images attach

To wire the gauges, my plan is to splice the factory cluster harness for illumination, left and right signals, high beam, and ground. Then run the other output wiring through a new firewall grommet to the sending devices. I have to do some digging yet to see if I can get the vss from the 4l60 to work on the 700r4, and talk to the mph gauge correctly...may just end up getting the autometer gps unit for the gauge instead.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did exactly what you are planning to do. It was very simple. One thing I would recommend is incorporating some type of connector so that you disconnect the cluster without unwiring it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Check out a GPS electronic speedometer sending unit. They're available from summit racing for $90.

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did exactly what you are planning to do. It was very simple. One thing I would recommend is incorporating some type of connector so that you disconnect the cluster without unwiring it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the 2" gauges have their own 2x10 connector, and the tach and speedo are just spade connections. I will have enough length to pull the cluster out, and disconnect it, but will be keeping extra connections to a minimum. I will have the wiring labelled nicely as so not to confuse them when the cluster goes in/out.

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out a GPS electronic speedometer sending unit. They're available from summit racing for $90.

I will be checking that out. The autometer gps unit lists for $180 on the website, but if I can get one cheaper that would be sweet.

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got some decent progress going down now! I sold the 454ss rims/tires the other day (and made a small profit for once). I heard back from the Wheel Vintiques finally. They did not do a custom backspace run in January or February for some reason (maybe not enough orders ?), so they started on them last week. They should be done, and in Calgary in roughly 2 weeks. This time I wanted to get drag radials. It was between the 28x12.5 and 28x11.5 et street radial, and I ended up deciding on the 28x11.5 again (275/60/15). I will either be going 235/70/15 in the front again, or maybe 225/70/15 for a slightly shorter tire. Now that progress is made there, I started ripping into the rear end of the truck. The exhaust and rear end are out of the truck prepping for the axle flip. I built plates, and got some new perches for it, and I will be mocking it up in the next couple of nights to set pinion angle, and weld her up. I also ordered Earls/Russel fittings for the tank so I can get the fuel system happening. I'm building a sump, and run the fuel supply to the Holley blue pump mounted just behind the tank, then 3/8 stainless line (no return) up to the regulator (possibly mounted on the passenger side inner fender), then braided flex to the feed lines for the 750dp. Lastly I ordered drop spindles, so now it’s a go for either 4/6 or 5/7 drop. While tearing down I snapped an action shot. More progress soon!

Last edited:

bluedevil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Started playing with the regulator mounting and carb feed lines. The inner fenders aren't in yet obviously, so out of curiosity I tried using one of the coolant overflow tank mounting holes to hang the regulator. With the length of the braided lines, it works pretty decent. I may leave it like this, since it would be easy to tube down, and out the back for the rest of the fuel line. The only problem is the lip of the cowl would make it hard to get an allen key into the regulator, but I could clearance just that spot, and you wouldn't really notice. Also would still have to put a tee in to run a fuel pressure gauge. I know the fpr isn't supposed to be on the firewall if I wanted the truck to pass tech, but since Calgary lost its track couple years back, i'd say chances are pretty slim.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I put my regulator on the middle of the fire wall near distributor, worked great!

Edit: I also ran my fuel line backwards pointing towards firewall for a sleeker look

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like to mount it right at the carb with this bracket.
http://www.pickupandracehaven.com/fuel-pressure-regulator-bracket-for-holley-4150-112525.cfm
attachment.php

Attachments

• ALL54284-detail.jpg
    ALL54284-detail.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 172