97 Burban has intermittent sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saeulfr

Reaction score
So I'm up a wall here. 97 suburban and the sound keeps coming and going. Stereo remains on but the sound will not. Sometimes it'll go days without cutting off. Sometimes it will go a few minutes. Length of time they quit working varies from minutes to days as well. It did have an aftermarket Sanyo(still had a cassette deck) but worked fine for the first few weeks of owner ship. Even changed the radio and hooked up the power wire for the rear speakers today. Still no change. No pinches in the boot. All speakers sound fine when it is working. Any help here guys?

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm up a wall here. 97 suburban and the sound keeps coming and going. Stereo remains on but the sound will not. Sometimes it'll go days without cutting off. Sometimes it will go a few minutes. Length of time they quit working varies from minutes to days as well. It did have an aftermarket Sanyo(still had a cassette deck) but worked fine for the first few weeks of owner ship. Even changed the radio and hooked up the power wire for the rear speakers today. Still no change. No pinches in the boot. All speakers sound fine when it is working. Any help here guys?
Are the speaker wires properly insulated at the splices? Is there an amp involved too, or just stock wiring? If the speaker wires short or connect to ground, you'll experience this, same if the amp loses power from either the main power or from the switch wire usually hooked up to a key on hot source. If there's no amp you can rule out the latter, if it's all speakers, it's probably not the former. Could also be the harness. With it being intermittent, it's going to be difficult to test. You can bodysuit inspect the wires and test for resistance between them (should be no measurable resistance between 2 different wires, or wire to ground), but it'll likely only show up when there's an issue. If the head unit doesn't lose power, but all speakers cut out, I'd try replacing or repairing the harness if you can narrow down exactly what is causing the issue. Otherwise, it may be time to replace the head unit.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Saeulfr

Reaction score
Are the speaker wires properly insulated at the splices? Is there an amp involved too, or just stock wiring? If the speaker wires short or connect to ground, you'll experience this, same if the amp loses power from either the main power or from the switch wire usually hooked up to a key on hot source. If there's no amp you can rule out the latter, if it's all speakers, it's probably not the former. Could also be the harness. With it being intermittent, it's going to be difficult to test. You can bodysuit inspect the wires and test for resistance between them (should be no measurable resistance between 2 different wires, or wire to ground), but it'll likely only show up when there's an issue. If the head unit doesn't lose power, but all speakers cut out, I'd try replacing or repairing the harness if you can narrow down exactly what is causing the issue. Otherwise, it may be time to replace the head unit.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
3 head units same problem. No amp besides the factory for the rear doors. Originally wasn't hooked up and still had the problem. Hooked up the remote wore and still same issue. It is all 8 speakers that do it and yes headunit stays on. Hoping not wiring harness cause with kids out of school I don't have time to test that apart.

Right I would hook up some individual speakers I have and test from there