97 5.7L Vortec has tough time starting in cold temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Normally the engine starts and runs fine but when the temperatur goes below -10C / 14F it starts getting grumpy when I start it, the colder it gets the worse it gets, at -15C / 5F it's twice as had to start it, but when its running it runs like normal. Even the gauge LED's start flickering while it's trying to start when its that cold, which I've never noticed at warmer temps.
It sounds the same as trying to start with low battery, like there isn't enough power, but if that was it shouldn't I have the same "problem" all the time regardless of temperatur? The generator charges over 14V so the battery shouldn't be low and I think the PO replaced the battery right before I bought it so it's only about a 1.5 years old.

Tonight it's getting even colder and by tomorrow morning we're expecting -20C / -4F so I'm a bit worried if it'll start...

Is it normal that it's so hard to start it when it's that cold? If something is wrong, what could it be?
Could it be that the battery gets too cold? It's basically standing outdoors unprotected from the cold both at home and at work.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like a battery problem to me. You need to get a battery that has a better CCA (Cold Cranking Amps). I know a lot of people have problems with them now, but I've had my optima yellow top for 3 years now, and it never fails to turn over, even sitting for months at a time in the dead of winter (usually between 0F and 10F).

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like a battery problem to me. You need to get a battery that has a better CCA (Cold Cranking Amps). I know a lot of people have problems with them now, but I've had my optima yellow top for 3 years now, and it never fails to turn over, even sitting for months at a time in the dead of winter (usually between 0F and 10F).

X2, except I can't agree with the Optima recommendation. I've killed a newer Optima yellow top under normal use in less than 6 months. They're made in Mexico now by Johnson Controls, and their quality has gone downhill dramatically.

Look into Odyssey, made by Enersys. Specifically their "Extreme" series. I run them in everything I own and they've never complained about starting up in sub-zero temperatures.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
X2, except I can't agree with the Optima recommendation. I've killed a newer Optima yellow top under normal use in less than 6 months. They're made in Mexico now by Johnson Controls, and their quality has gone downhill dramatically.

Look into Odyssey, made by Enersys. Specifically their "Extreme" series. I run them in everything I own and they've never complained about starting up in sub-zero temperatures.

Yeah - they get more complaints than compliments now for sure. If I had known that when I bought mine, I would have went with something else. But looks like I am one of the lucky few with a solid performer.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If you haven't already done so, clean the battery connections. Check the electrolyte level in the battery. ( if it is not sealed or maintenance free )

If maintenance type ( removable caps ) make sure the electrolyte is over the plates. If not, then add distilled water to cover the plates and then replace the caps. Charge the battery and load test it.

What viscosity engine oil do you have in it? Is it due for a change?

I have started mine at -45F without a block heater, and with 0w30 Mobil1 synthetic, it cranks over and starts like summer.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X2 what michael hurd said. A bunch of little things all added together can produce a hard start or no start problem. The correct oil viscosity, clean battery terminals, a healthy battery, good spark plugs with the correct gap, good ignition wiring, all add up.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I'll take a look at my battery.
I got lucky friday morning, it was "only" -17C (1.4F), the truck started but it took everything it had.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I'll take a look at my battery.
I got lucky friday morning, it was "only" -17C (1.4F), the truck started but it took everything it had.

It was -23C yesterday, and mine cranked over like it was summer.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I actually shot this video earlier to shame my neighbor who insists he needs that silly block heater, it's 8 f out here today.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I agree, Battery, clean cables, (big 3 upgrade if possible), should get you back where you need to be.