97 350 Vortec No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Lurch

Reaction score
Went ahead and replaced everything I knew was bad. Also fired the parts cannon. Still not getting the truck to fire. New fuel pump, starter, battery, battery cables, distributor cab and rotor, spark plugs, crank sensor, and cam sensor. Getting spark and fuel. Truck had been sitting for 2 years. Ran well prior to being parked so I doubt it jumped time. Any pointers here?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
You're getting spark & fuel but it doesn't even cough? Is the fuel pressure correct? Better yet, have you done a compression test & verified the timing when you dropped the new dizzy in? Is the firing order correct? I've made that mistake before, oops.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
If you're getting good spark and good fuel, your only other option is air. There should be a MAF sensor on your intake piping, but even with that gone the truck should still run, albeit rough. Are you sure your injectors are actually spraying fuel?

Sounds like something is unplugged or disconnected, and not giving the correct information to the computer. Hook it to a scan tool maybe and look for signal from your cam/crank sensor while cranking?

Mr_Lurch

Reaction score
It chokes up and wants to fire real bad. Had it run for less than 2 seconds once but that was with a large amount of starting fluid. Going to scan it this weekend (truck is a few cities away). Going to do a compression test as well. Timing I'm uncertain of but I believe it's correct. plug wires are definitely in order

shamrock246

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the coolant temp sensor reading with the scanner or unplug the connector and check the resistance against the temp/resistance chart they can be found on line or in the Haynes manual.Double check the fuel pressure.

jstammer41

Reaction score
Not to muddy the waters here but I have the same problem, truck ran fine and then sat for about a year. It is supposed to be a project truck. Now when I try to start it makes no attempt to run at all. Turns over fine, new fuel pump and 60 PSI of fuel pressure. Put spark tester on it and I have spark. Must not be getting air or fuel injectors not firing? Will check for clear path of air and then maybe see if I can get the plugs out. Could try the starting fluid but have to get a can. Any other thoughts?