97 2500 Chevy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This will be as simple as wiring a 1500 for a 4L80 swap. The connector at the transmission will get repinned and you'll have to add the front VSS. Other than that, just plug in the appropriate 4L80E PCM and you'll be good to go. Are they both 4wd? If not, IIRC the 4wd just uses an extension harness to reach the t-case. Easy peasy.

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will be as simple as wiring a 1500 for a 4L80 swap. The connector at the transmission will get repinned and you'll have to add the front VSS. Other than that, just plug in the appropriate 4L80E PCM and you'll be good to go. Are they both 4wd? If not, IIRC the 4wd just uses an extension harness to reach the t-case. Easy peasy.
Love the answer lol. Both are 4x4 indeed. What would be repinned ? And mind the probably stupid question here, what’s the VSS?

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also want to thank everyone who has replied and given me tips and info on this entire deal! Always dreamed of owning a OBS since my dad had a SB 4x4 5 speed 90 model as a kid and you guys are all just helping a dream come true. Much love to everyone of you

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Love the answer lol. Both are 4x4 indeed. What would be repinned ? And mind the probably stupid question here, what’s the VSS?

You'd just move a couple of wires around at the transmission plug. VSS = vehicle speed sensor. 4L80 has an input speed sensor that the 60 does not. I'll see what I can dig up here, it's a fairly common swap for us 6 lug guys.

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'd just move a couple of wires around at the transmission plug. VSS = vehicle speed sensor. 4L80 has an input speed sensor that the 60 does not. I'll see what I can dig up here, it's a fairly common swap for us 6 lug guys.
Thanks buddy! Whatever you can get me will definitely help! I’ve got the Yukon harness just about fully out now, and I was hoping to see what I had to switch around ASAP! I plan on getting the engine snd harness in and plugged within this week if at all possible, so your help right now is like a chubby kid in ***** wonkas chocolate factory to me! The only issue I’ve had so far is figuring out how to get the harness undone from passenger side under the A/C. Everything else is unhooked layin on the intake

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Funking WÌLLY is blocked! I'm glad to see your getting all the info you need! I know some of this info but that's only from reading these kinds of threads and not from experience. I once wanted to complete a 4l80e swap in for my 3rd blown 4L60E, 2 in this burb and one in another. After seeing everything that was required I thought some of it may be above my capability. I started looking for a good shop and found one that's been building race transmissions since the 60's. I told the owner what I was interested in and he said he could do it but told me about other easier options instead. like rebuilding the 4L60E strong like the 4L80E and that's what I had them do.

these guys (and gals!) know these trucks inside and out!

CHEERS!

Last edited:

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funking WÌLLY is blocked! I'm glad to see your getting all the info you need! I know some of this info but that's only from reading these kinds of threads and not from experience. I once wanted to complete a 4l80e swap in for my 3rd blown 4L60E, 2 in this burb and one in another. After seeing everything that was required I thought some of it may be above my capability. I started looking for a good shop and found one that's been building race transmissions since the 60's. I told the owner what I was interested in and he said he could do it but told me about other easier options instead. like rebuilding the 4L60E strong like the 4L80E and that's what I had them do.

these guys (and gals!) know these trucks inside and out!

CHEERS!
Thanks man!