96 Tahoe dies while driving and won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have fuel at the pump but the the injectors I would be checking for a plugged fuel filter. If you are getting fuel past the filter then woul remove the lines from the spider and attach a long chunk of hose to the larger line. Put the line in a coffee can and turn the ignition on. See if you get a lot of fuel or just a trickle.

Nightflyer

Reaction score
I'll make a compression test tomorrow.

What is, if my tming chain jumped time? Is the engine damaged?

And what is, when i've compression on all cylinders?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll compare your highest and lowest readings, following up with a wet test on any deficient cylinder to determine the cause:

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightflyer

Reaction score
Thank you...;)!

I'll check the compression tomorrow.

But what is, when my timing chain jumped? Do i need a new engine, heads, etc or is the 350 vortec a non-interference engine?

Could it also be, that the timing chain is okay, but the distributor is not correct in time?? It's only an idea.....;)

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I do not know if the Passlock System would have killed the truck while driving, but it definitely causes some of the symptoms that you are experiencing with the "no start".

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you...;)!

I'll check the compression tomorrow.

But what is, when my timing chain jumped? Do i need a new engine, heads, etc or is the 350 vortec a non-interference engine?

Could it also be, that the timing chain is okay, but the distributor is not correct in time?? It's only an idea.....;)
The bent valve in my experience says that it is an interference engine. On this engine, a new valve and a valve job on both heads and it was good to go.

If you just jumped a tooth or two it "should be" okay. Pull the distributor cap with the timing marks lined up on the balancer. Look at the cap for where the #1 terminal connects inside of the cap (I believe that it is on the drivers side of the flat area). If the rotor isn't pointed exactly in the same position as where #1 would make contact in the cap then you have either jumped time or sheared the roll pin on the distributor drive gear. Most likely if it jumped time you would notice that the engine spins rather quickly and easily due to low/no compression.