96 k2500 auto to manual help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
Im finishing up my sm465 swap from auto and i need to know which wires to jump on the harness by the trans that plugs in to the black box on the side of the selector so the truck will crank.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The wires to crank should be purple. For a manual they are supposed to be run through a clutch safety switch.

The blue or green are for reverse lamps.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
The wires to crank should be purple. For a manual they are supposed to be run through a clutch safety switch.

The blue or green are for reverse lamps.
Purple + purple and white? I plan on running a clutch safety or a dummy switch

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Yes one gets hot when the switch is in the crank position. The other sends the power down to the solenoid.

The same with the reverse lamp wires, The reverse hot will be hot key on and the start will only be on in the crank position.

As far as the switch it concerned, it doesn't matter. All you need is a test light to figure out which is which.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
Well i got it to start and had to put the black box back on and switch it to neutral to get it out of 4 lo. I made a mistake though. I was driving home and didt pay attention to the egr tube and clutch line routing since i ran it ... And burnt the damn line in 2.. and i have to shorten my front driveshaft 2.5 inches other than those 2 issues one being my fault for getting in a hurry and the other one was expected im glad i finally got to drive my truck ... Definitely got to get used to a bigblock. Ive got some other things i got to tinker with on it such as.... Patching a small hole in driverside pan rockers a dent in the bed change the front bumper Fix 1 exhaust hanger and replace the gaskets on the exhaust by the cats and get the fuel guage to work..... All little stuff