96 k1500 l31 cat delete questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys! Im looking to delete the cats on my 96 k1500, i was wondering if i left the rear o2 sensors in if deleting the cats will affect fuel trims. I dont care about my CEL since it doesnt work anyways (still havent figured it out, replaced bulb now onto wire tests.)

Any answers will be appreciated. Just looking to be louder as always for the time being until i LS swap. Thats when the big money will go out.

Thanks guys!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, rear O2s don't affect anything vital. They're just in there to tell you if the cats are going bad. If you remove the cats it'll throw a trouble code until you tune the rear O2s out of the PCM, but that's it.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Removing your cat changes your peak hp & tq curve beyond normal operation . Your power band will be near read line. Yes it will in crease higher up but make it a dog down low. I dunno about you but I dont red line my truck light to light.

Reaction score
Nope, rear O2s don't affect anything vital. They're just in there to tell you if the cats are going bad. If you remove the cats it'll throw a trouble code until you tune the rear O2s out of the PCM, but that's it.
Thank you my friend, thats all i needed to know. She'll be back at the exhaust shop soon after i get the frame straightened for "repairs." Lol i am doing a 0411 pcm swap soon in preperation for an LS swap that is fully integrated so they wont be a problem for long but i wanted to know if it would mess anything up. And im sure taking the cat off wont change the redline but for s&g ill take that into consideration. ive deleted cats on vehicles without rear o2s and it doesnt change **** performance wise. Haha

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
df2x4 is rite. It won't effect fuel trim, but it will put the truck into limp mode, and that will rob power and gas millage. I gutted my cats last year. The truck ran worse than when I had cats. I took some of the honey comb that I busted out of the cats and made mini cat sumilators. I used 4 spark plug spacers. I had to grind down the honey comb to fit inside the spacers between the 02 sensors, and the exhaust pipe. I have had these on my truck for 8 or 10 months, and they work grate. Here is a sight that sales them ready to go, or you can just build your own like I did. http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html Here is a video on how to make the spark plug spacer, 02 sensor (mini cats). Like I said I used a small ground down little piece of honey comb that I knocked out of the OE cats where this guy tell you to pus steel wool.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media