96 GMC K2500 Suburban Restoration (with a couple of mods)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point I'm trying to make is simply that it *is* possible to sort out a piece of machinery, one
subsystem at a time, so that it eventually really becomes a faithful traveling companion.
I need to be reminded of this. Hell, I’ve said it myself. And in my more lucid moments, it appears that’s where I’m headed. Tacking, perhaps, but generally heading in that direction. Thanks, again.
The problem is that the GF/Spouse/Better Half/Significant Other/Whatever considered this logical explanation
a technicality at best, and at worst just so much blah blah blah if they were busy channeling their inner Greta T. :)

All that seemed to matter is how much time & effort it took to keep the vehicles roadworthy. Didn't matter that
I was saving money. Didn't seem to help when I explained that "Mobility has always cost money. Even the pioneers trying
to keep their covered wagons rolling would b*tch about what it cost to get a broken wooden wheel fixed."

But they weren't buying what I was selling. But now, as a wanna-be sage senior I've recently added that 2nd rule to
my purchasing criteria: "No Rust." (More or less. :0)

And so far so good. The concrete problem of keeping myself in reliable transportation is finally getting easier than before.

But the Abstract problem of managing Perception successfully still completely kicks my @$$...

Here's hoping you enjoy more success in this area than I have to date. :0)
I’m definitely going through some of this with my GF. To her credit, however, she hasn’t yet channeled her inner Greta T. For which I’m thankful.

If I’m being honest, my own perceptions - which inform my expectations - are the major source of my feeling discouraged.

Looking back I realize that from the beginning I've been expecting something out of this vehicle that simply wasn’t realistic. Due to my comparative inexperience and optimism, I wasn't well prepared for the reality that ensued. I especially underestimated how pervasive the pack rat inflicted damage was, and how it affected some critical systems.

I didn’t do proper due diligence. I half-assed it.

An unfortunate unintended consequence of this is that I helped to foster my GF’s unrealistic expectations as well. Being prone to enthusiasm when it comes to older vehicles “with potential” I extolled the virtues of the 2500 as a towing platform. And subsequently sought out and purchased the Subdivision. And drove it 2200 miles seemingly unscathed. Of course it would tow the camper!

Sigh.

To paraphrase: I have met the enemy and it is me.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
South VA,

I know exactly the sensation that you just described. At first I thought that it was simply the feeling
that you were getting away with something for nothing, like when you are in the middle of
eating the free food samples at Costco?

But the feeling runs deeper than that. At the risk of paraphrasing Robert Pirsig**
poorly, our level of satisfaction with something is tied to how much we are a Participant
versus an Observer in it's creation.

Using a food analogy, you work at a job, you get paid, and then you take some of
that pay and buy some french fries. And enjoy them. The transaction that allowed
you to obtain those fries was a financial abstraction. Ergo, you are for the most part
an observer.

On the other hand, early in the season you pick out your favorite version of Tomato
seeds. And you start the process of growing those Tomatoes from seed. 60 to 100
days of tending to and anticipating the finished product. As the tomatoes ripen, you
are even reminded of your favorite Little Feat album cover from back in the day.
(Waiting for Columbus)

And then finally, you pick the first ones & slice them up. Whether in a salad or
on a burger fresh off the grill, you share them with your friends, and everyone
marvels at how much more amazing real tomatoes are compared to what we are
used to from the supermarket.

Both the french fries and the Tomatoes provides calories & sustenance. But
we enjoy those 'from scratch' Tomatoes way more than the fries. Is it because
of all the synapses firing from all the interaction with creating this food from
seed as a direct Participant? Is it the Sense of Accomplishment, or the chance
to share the bounty of your focus/effort with your friends, magician-like?
Or is it just better eating?
That book left a lasting impression. I was so taken by it back in the 70s when it came out that I was inspired to rip out the stock (and perfectly functional) wiring harness from my new ‘76 Norton 850 Commando, and proceed to rewire the whole thing. Because what I would do would be more elegant than the factory kit. And so that I could make it mine. The stock harness had what I considered to be an overabundance of these large plastic connectors that were crammed in every imaginable place on the bike, took up way too much room, and generally got in the way of the underlying beauty of that machine. Plus served as potential points of failure. Lucas, and all that. At least I thought so.

I’m surprised it ran after that, but it did. I even swapped out the stock headlight housing so that I could put in an older one with an ammeter on top. It seemed like a fine combination of the practical and the aesthetic. I replaced the Phillips side cover screws with allen heads. I carried an assortment of standard, metric, and Whitworth wrenches. Plus several sets of jets to maximize performance in different elevation ranges so common out West. I was going to replace the Amals with Mikunis, but never got around to it.

I don’t recall having any electrical issues. Of course that could well be a function of time and a failing memory. But I digress.

I’ve certainly fallen into the role of observer with the Subdivision. I’m thinking back to when the alternator gave out and stranded us at an interstate rest stop. The symptoms pointed to the alternator. It made perfect sense. What I didn’t realize at the time was there were also failing ground connections and a dying battery that contributed to the charging system failing and other non-alternator issues. No matter; I simply took the shop’s word for it that the problem was fixed. They simply replaced the alternator and called it a day. They didn’t look any farther, and neither did I. Which came back to haunt me, and ultimately led to my reluctance to take it back there for any sort of work.

But I continue to learn. And to not expect Rome to be built in a day.
…That's the best I can do. But I can report that the chore truck seems to be
spreading good vibes here in Salt City. Whether stopping to buy gas or
parking at the local Wegmans, people strike up conversations about it all the
time. Always fun. And I am actually surprised how many of them comment on the
color-matched wheels -- I guess they really stand out in a sea of same same
aging alloy wheels (slightly discolored by rusted brake dust) on today's daily drivers
here in the rust belt?

So, yeah, I think there's definitely a feeling about driving old/driving different.
Besides enjoying driving it (when it runs!) I too get compliments on the Subdivision, and have enjoyed some conversations arising from that. A decent looking 27 year old Suburban can be a pretty good conversation piece.
Keep on keeping on -- you will eventually finish getting the Subdivision fully sorted...
Again, thank you. For a much-needed reminder of what I knew but tend to forget.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was an excellent explanation of something we all feel but have trouble articulating. While most people drive their vehicles, we live them. My wife will turn the key, put it in gear, release the hand brake and drive. I turn the key and watch the dash lights come on, I turn it a bit more and hear the starter solenoid engage and the engine start to crank over. I hear that first cylinder fire, followed by the rest. I watch the rev counter jump up to start with and then slowly settle, just as I have tuned it to do. I pull the shifter into drive and feel the rear axle building tension against the brakes. I hear the exhaust rumble and feel the torque converter loading up the drive-train as I pull away from the curb, I slowly roll on the gas as I sped up to hold it in gear until I want it to upshift then back off a little and settle in for the ride. We live the experience, and extract great joy from it in a way that most people would never understand. Most people might think I spend to much time on my truck but they don't understand what they are missing out on.
Spot on.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just keep at it, at this point your money ahead to fix what you have rather than start all over with another unknown used vehicle.
Simple, and worth repeating. Starting over doesn’t appeal to me at all; nor does it make sense financially. Especially since this one doesn’t appear to have any structural flaws that would warrant getting rid of it.
We've all been there, hell I've threatened to sell my Suburban and my Z28 more times than I can count. But, I keep moving forward and sort the problem, and then all is well with the automotive world at my place again ;)
It’s funny how easily I can sometimes get sucked into looking at this vehicle like I’m the only one having these problems. Knowing that you and others have prevailed in similar circumstances helps me believe that I’ll get this figured out.
You've got this, and with every new repair, it becomes one less thing you'll have to worry about in the future.
Thank you!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year this time, I was at this point with Rawhide, my crew cab. I'd had to have the hydro boost unit replaced 3 days after buying the truck, and the shop I trusted to do the job, didn't do so well. At first it was fine, great stops, like a new truck. Then about 2 weeks afterwards, it started going cuckoo. You'd be leaving a light, and it was like it took a loooong time to get out of first gear, and it didn't want to move. No warning, except sometimes there'd be a whoosh sound under the dashboard. And most of the time the brakes would self apply....but topping the transmission fluid off and letting it sit for 10-15 minutes would "fix" it!
Turned out the booster unit was bad, and they had installed it poorly so that didn't help. I found this out, after wrangling with the original shop for several weeks, them trying to convince me it needs a new transmission (4L80E with 125K on it... nope), and finally getting it to a new shop. $1300+ later, my truck is back, and it's fixed like it should've been the first time. I had used those guys for repairs on my Suburban several times, and had good results. But apparently they don't know as much about one tons as they'd have me believe!
It’s a bummer when a shop - especially one that you trust - drops the ball. We only have two around here, and only one of them still gets my business anymore. But gone are the days where I simply hand it over to them without understanding at least a little something about what’s going on. I figure if I can’t fix it myself, I can at least be an informed consumer.

Anyway, the point I'm getting at, is that I hung in there, and didn't sell my "new" truck, and it/he's been faithful 98% of the time since. Had to replace the battery twice (Sam's Club sold me a bad one first time, and then didn't want to replace it in line with the "free replacement for the first 3 years" warranty. They finally did, but it's frankly not worth the Plus membership at $120 a year, just to have a useless warranty on a $150 battery. Costco doesn't require the upgrade in membership to have a warranty on their batteries and tires, so I may be getting a membership there later this year. They have lots of not too expensive food options there that I think we'd enjoy....but I will still keep the Sam's Club regular membership because they are cheaper on stuff we get, that both clubs have. And Costco doesn't carry some items we do use, like the Lysol laundry sanitizer in a big jug(for lots cheaper than the grocery store).
So hang in there! These trucks are like kids; you love em, sometimes they give you enough trouble, you wonder why, but they're worth it.
Yeah, it’s not very rational, when looking at it from the outside. Trying to get a 27 year old Sub to tow a camper I’m sure seems crazy to some, maybe most folks. But you’re right - I love this beast. And right now I’m thinking it is worth it. So I’ll hang in.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to get a 27 year old Sub to tow a camper I’m sure seems crazy to some, maybe most folks.
Trying to get a 27 year old C1500 with JB5 brakes to tow a camper is crazy, definitely not a K2500 subdivision with beautiful paint though!
:patriot::waytogo:
Unless it’s a 5th wheel camper, that might be a little crazy :rotflmao:

Keep at it, it’ll be worth it. You’re almost there.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to get a 27 year old C1500 with JB5 brakes to tow a camper is crazy, definitely not a K2500 subdivision with beautiful paint though!
:patriot::waytogo:
Unless it’s a 5th wheel camper, that might be a little crazy :rotflmao:

Keep at it, it’ll be worth it. You’re almost there.
Thank you, again, for the encouragement! It really helps knowing that you and other good folks here are pulling for success on this project!

It’s been parked all weekend; tomorrow morning we’re dropping it off at the transmission shop first thing. How long it will be there remains to be seen, of course. But I figure one way or the other I’ll have a functioning transmission by the time I get it back, whenever that turns out to be.

And who knows? We might yet make the camping trip next week (no breath-holding, though).

And, in other news, I finally got around to replacing the IACV this evening, as recommended by @HotWheelsBurban when I recently replaced the TPS.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That recommendation came to me from my cousin, who's literally been a mechanic or supervised them for most of his life. I found it to be true on both my trucks; in all fairness I was replacing the original parts after 20+ years!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Cue the sawzall addicts with a buddy that is a welder.' Its possible if one is willing (and not concerned with looks and safety).
I tried to imagine what such a thing would look like…
:superhack: + :weld:= :oops:
SouthVA, keep at it. I'm enjoying tagging along and pulling for ya.
Thanks!!