96 direct drive starter on a 94 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always thought they started in 95 or 96, my 94 definitely had the big old heavy one like my 84 had, where my 98 has the PMGR one.
Regardless you can get either style in ACDELCO for less than $100 new on RockAuto.
Many years ago when I had my 94 it had the PMGR. My gasser 95 also has one.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I always thought they started in 95 or 96, my 94 definitely had the big old heavy one like my 84 had, where my 98 has the PMGR one.
Regardless you can get either style in ACDELCO for less than $100 new on RockAuto.

Many years ago when I had my 94 it had the PMGR. My gasser 95 also has one.

Pretty sure it was a running change during the '94 model year. I've worked on several that had the PMGR and it appeared original. In fact can't recall one that had the direct drive, but I have no doubt they exist as well. GM was using them in other applications years before.. several of the 9C1 Caprices I'd owned had the PMGR, and more than a few of those were earlier models.

Richard

94chevc1500

Reaction score
I have the long heavier direct drive starter. Reason I want the 96 is because it's smaller than mine spins off pretty good and only 50 bucks from a local parts store with a lifetime warranty.