96 direct drive starter on a 94 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94chevc1500

Reaction score
Hello I have a question about swapping starters on my 94. I wanted a pmgr but pretty expensive and the used ones I found are not in good condition plus I'd rather go back in with new. Will a 96 direct drive starter mount without any problems? Has anyone done this?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello I have a question about swapping starters on my 94. I wanted a pmgr but pretty expensive and the used ones I found are not in good condition plus I'd rather go back in with new. Will a 96 direct drive starter mount without any problems? Has anyone done this?
I put them on 60s, 70s and 80s blocks.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive seen many times the blocks had the spacing for the different flywheels, not the starter. I used a mini starter but I put a 153 tooth flywheel on a 454 in a 79 Malibu 4-speed I kick myself for getting rid of...

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve used these with good results…
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lotsa folks swap from direct-drive to gear reduction. Very few go the other way.

Not something I'd do...but sure, it'd work--with all the usual reminders:
1. You'll need the brace/bracket from the front of the starter to the block. Last I looked, GM still sold 'em over the parts counter. Still a popular item, I guess.
2. You'll need to shim the starter as appropriate for proper gear mesh
3. You'll need the correct starter nose-cone for the flywheel diameter. Years ago, you sometimes needed the correct nose-cone material (cast iron) to go with certain manual trans bellhousings--but I think that's no longer a problem with the GMT400 trucks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A little bit more info would be helpful. You didn't state what starter type you already have on your '94. Both were available during the '94 model year. Either of those types will fit providing you use the correct bolts, which is critical.

Brand new (rebuilt) PMGR's are under $100 from quite a few brands. There are even brand new ones for less than $100, Chinesium for sure, but you get what you pay for (and sometimes less.)

Richard

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little bit more info would be helpful. You didn't state what starter type you already have on your '94. Both were available during the '94 model year. Either of those types will fit providing you use the correct bolts, which is critical.

Brand new (rebuilt) PMGR's are under $100 from quite a few brands. There are even brand new ones for less than $100, Chinesium for sure, but you get what you pay for (and sometimes less.)

Richard
I always thought they started in 95 or 96, my 94 definitely had the big old heavy one like my 84 had, where my 98 has the PMGR one.
Regardless you can get either style in ACDELCO for less than $100 new on RockAuto.