96 chevy silverado just shuts off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
on my 96 silverado the other day i started it and was sitting in it and it just shut off like i turned the key off. then the accessory light came back on then back off then back on so i started it up again and it was fine. plus two other time i hit the blinker switch to turn right and it died on me does any one know what is causing this to happen? one more thing that might help is that when i do turn my key to on it takes half a sec for the lights to come on the dash its not instant like most are

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
would it be the main ground going to the battery or maybe in the steering column? my power going to the battery looks brittle about an inch from the battery

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Well, just from experience I would say the main ground. Just because that's what it was for me. But it's extremely tough to be able to tell that a ground is even your problem without being there to look at it. But personally... I would start at the battery.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Can you post up a pic of your battery cables as they connect to your battery? Or explain them? Are they corroded or anything? Dirty? How tight are they?

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
the battery is not every old and the ground looks good the power has a bunch in it like its been up against something the power runs all the way to the fuse box on the driver side. they are tight. they are top post

Tumult

Reaction score
Ignition switch. Mine did the exact same thing but only mine was when I used my left turn signal.

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
do you know what makes it do that why it affects your turn signal? is the ignition switch easy to change? does this also effect your cruise control and wipers? i use to have cruise now i dont

Last edited:

Tumult

Reaction score
I don't know for sure but it's most likely a short inside the switch that causes it. And yeah not too hard to change, the column cover has to come off, you have to slide out your key cylinder to make it all line up. The other end plugs into that bulkhead connecter down by the brake pedal. And yeah all of the above...cruise, wipers etc. I actually replaced the muti-function switch first thinking that was the problem. No such luck, the ignition switch fixed all of it. If you're friendly with a parts house see if you can try it out and return it, they aint cheap. Good luck man.