Shuts off on D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kRIM97OBS

Reaction score
My 97 5.7 liter stumbles on drive then shuts off. Seems to work better on low gear and also reverse. And it also idles great and turns on no problem. Recently I've changed fuel pump, fuel filter, full tune up, idle air control valve, egr valve. Any ideas or suggestions on what it could be? Thanks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 97 5.7 liter stumbles on drive then shuts off.
"Shuts off" implies intent. The word you're looking for is "stalls" or perhaps "dies". Is it worse when accelerating? At idle? Engine fully warm? Engine cool/cold? Only when turning left? Going up hills?

Seems to work better on low gear and also reverse. And it also idles great and turns on no problem.
Worst in higher gears--second, third, Overdrive? Kinda implies that it's worse at higher speeds.

Stalls, restarts easily.

Recently I've changed fuel pump, fuel filter,
What is the fuel pressure? You can install a hundred fuel pumps and not fix the problem if the wiring to the fuel pump is faulty.

full tune up
Define "full tune-up". What was adjusted? What was inspected? What parts were replaced? Did you use quality parts, or cheap generic--maybe even counterfeit--junk from Amazon?

, idle air control valve, egr valve. Any ideas or suggestions on what it could be? Thanks.
Connect a scan tool, make sure ALL the sensors work like they're supposed to, and all the computer outputs similarly work OK. Check for misfire counts on each cylinder. Look at the fuel trims and spark advance.

Will the ignition coil supply enough spark to RELIABLY fire a spark-tester calibrated for HEI when the coil is hot and misted with water from a squirt-bottle?

Last edited:

kRIM97OBS

Reaction score
It idles fine doesn't sound or feel rough. It's when I put it in drive and give it gas it dies. But on reverse it drives just fine and same thing with first and second it drives fine. I haven't tried 3rd.