96' 305 Vortec Not Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lt1camaro94

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a 96' K1500 with the 305 Vortec in it. The truck has been running flawless since I got it in January and has never once had a problem starting up. Last night I started my truck and it fired right up like usual. Today I went to start my truck and it just turned over...didn't sputter or anything.

-Fuel pump primes when I turn the key
-I replaced the cap and rotor tonight and still nothing
-Switched the AC relay and fuel pump relay - nothing

I'm stuck at college right now so I'm forced to work on it in the parking lot. My dad is coming down tomorrow so I can check the fuel pressure. Not sure if it's a fuel problem or a spark issue. My next step was going to be replacing the ignition coil. I don't know what else it could be..any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have to know the fuel pressure, the L30's are very temperamental when it comes to fuel pressure. post up your fuel pressure with key on engine off, idling, and driving.

when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Spark is easy to verify.

Pull a plug wire, stick a screw driver into plug wire and place on somethin metal. Have someone crank it over and watch for spark. DO NOT TOUCH IT WHILE DOING SO!

You can do this on all 8 cylinders to check them all for spark.

Check this for free before you change any parts along with a fuel pressure check.

lt1camaro94

Reaction score
you have to know the fuel pressure, the L30's are very temperamental when it comes to fuel pressure. post up your fuel pressure with key on engine off, idling, and driving.

when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

I'll be checking the fuel pressure here within the next hour or so...so I'll post that up once I know.

I haven't changed the fuel filter since I got the truck in January. I should probably do that

Thanks

lt1camaro94

Reaction score
Spark is easy to verify.

Pull a plug wire, stick a screw driver into plug wire and place on somethin metal. Have someone crank it over and watch for spark. DO NOT TOUCH IT WHILE DOING SO!

You can do this on all 8 cylinders to check them all for spark.

Check this for free before you change any parts along with a fuel pressure check.

I'll be sure to use this method to check the spark. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you

lt1camaro94

Reaction score
Is there a way that I can check to make sure the distributor shaft is spinning so I know that the teeth aren't stripped out? Didn't know if I could take the Cap off of the distributor and try starting the engine to see if the rotor is spinning.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
you can do this, just be sure not to contact the coil wire while doing so. You might have a shocking experience. My money is on the crank position sensor being bad.

lt1camaro94

Reaction score
Well I got it figured out. Had 58 lbs of fuel pressure when priming and it held pressure so I didn't figure that was the problem. We tested for spark and it wasnt getting any spark to any plug. Went and bought a new ignition coil and it popped right off. I appreciate all the help guys

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Thats a pretty rare problem with these trucks, Id have bet $100-$1 against the coil. Im glad you got her going, it would have thrown me for a loop.

lt1camaro94

Reaction score
Yeah I don't like just going and buying parts, hoping it will fix the problem. But I really didn't have a choice since I was stuck at school in the parking lot. We do all the work on our vehicles so taking it to a mechanic was out of the question.