95 Yukon Fuel pump upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirArseFace

Reaction score
just picked up a 95 yukon a month ago. shes absolutely amazing but has the TBI 350 in it and want to go to a 6.0 vortec LQ4 or LQ9 if i can find one. ive heard alot about the TBI pump dont put out the required fuel pressure a vortec requires "60psi". well went to go somewhere in my yukon and wouldnt start. fuel pump bit the *******. was having a new oem acdelco pump coming from amazon this saturday. but my question is will a VORTEC fuel pump from a 99 Suburban work with my TBI setup till i get the 6.0 ready and installed? or is the fuel pressure way too high? if so it would save me bullshit down the line of upgrading the fuel pump again

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the TBI's operating pressure is only around 12 psi or so.

Don't know much about TBIs, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
will a VORTEC fuel pump from a 99 Suburban work with my TBI setup till i get the 6.0 ready and installed?
Yes it will. A lot of folks go with the AC Delco EP381 pump on TBI setups, especially when you add some go fast parts. The FPR will simply return what fuel it doesn't need.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
EP381 is the Vortec pump for a 1996-early 1997 truck application, so it fits the "open" style sender the TBI trucks use.

The 1999 Suburban application OP mentioned would be the bucket style sender/pump assembly I lovingly refer to as the plastic trash can. While the pump component of it might fit the old style sender, there's no sense in buying that whole bucket assembly because the types of senders do not swap - they won't fit the other tank design or fuel line connections. You'd just be ripping the fuel pump out and trashing the rest of the assembly, basically spending an extra $80 for stuff you can't use.

Richard

SirArseFace

Reaction score
and this SAID fuel pump will run a LQ4 or LQ9 as well?. the plan was to install this pump for now then do my engine swap later without having to dick around with the fuel pump again

SirArseFace

Reaction score
okayy. so heres a bit of a pickle i got myself into.
SHORT STORY : my OE pump uses the 6an fittings im going to assume. i got a pump module with push on fittings. got my digital caliper out. Return line is 5/16 and the feed line is 3/8th. need to buy
https://www.amazon.com/Russell-640853-Quick-Disconnect-Female-Fitting/dp/B001P2CKVY <3/8th
and
https://www.amazon.com/Russell-644113-EFI-ADAPTER-FITTING/dp/B005C6KTBW <5/16th
will these work for me? i have 1 hr and 15 mins from this post till then to have it delivered via amazon tomorrow

Long story
my pump came. ACDELCO MU1605. conflicting info on many websites but amazon says it doesnt fit my car. purchased it. took the 180 dollar cactus up the ass for this pump. dont fit. need those conversion parts i assume above to make this thing work. after digging around they claim this is for a 95/97 yukon. then i hear its for a 4 door. but im at a stump because 95 was TBI and 97 was vortec. does this ******* thing have a 60psi pump? who knows. tried to return it. they want to charge me 40 bucks from my return for restocking fees. told them to go **** themself with a barbeque grill. so now i have this damn pump. was gona keep it and ordered the ep381 as mentioned above. got it. cant figure out for the life of me how to disassemble this fuel module. so i can try to identify the pump inside it. and even if it is indeed a 60psi pump. but had to order the sending unit for my shitbox. was supposed to come saturday. was like yay now i can get my truck done this weekend. got kicked in the dick. it still hasnt reached denver yet. and im getting tired of the bullshit and just want my truck to run again. so in a quick rundown i have
a complete EP381 pump
a complete MU1605 from ACDELCO
i am ******* tired of the bullshit and just want my truck to run.
i looked thru alldata and 96/97 use senders for 0empty - 90ohm full
this pump by many websites claim its for a 95-97. MAYBE GM put a 60psi pump in here.. im going to assume so
my only ******* problem is my lines are different. i am a wiring pro so wiring dont scare me. im just worried about line fittings. anyone have any info to chime in thanks i appreciate ya.

SirArseFace

Reaction score
here are pics of my existing sender / lines

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
okayy. so heres a bit of a pickle i got myself into.
SHORT STORY : my OE pump uses the 6an fittings im going to assume. i got a pump module with push on fittings. got my digital caliper out. Return line is 5/16 and the feed line is 3/8th. need to buy
https://www.amazon.com/Russell-640853-Quick-Disconnect-Female-Fitting/dp/B001P2CKVY <3/8th
and
https://www.amazon.com/Russell-644113-EFI-ADAPTER-FITTING/dp/B005C6KTBW <5/16th
will these work for me? i have 1 hr and 15 mins from this post till then to have it delivered via amazon tomorrow

Long story
my pump came. ACDELCO MU1605. conflicting info on many websites but amazon says it doesnt fit my car. purchased it. took the 180 dollar cactus up the ass for this pump. dont fit. need those conversion parts i assume above to make this thing work. after digging around they claim this is for a 95/97 yukon. then i hear its for a 4 door. but im at a stump because 95 was TBI and 97 was vortec. does this ******* thing have a 60psi pump? who knows. tried to return it. they want to charge me 40 bucks from my return for restocking fees. told them to go **** themself with a barbeque grill. so now i have this damn pump. was gona keep it and ordered the ep381 as mentioned above. got it. cant figure out for the life of me how to disassemble this fuel module. so i can try to identify the pump inside it. and even if it is indeed a 60psi pump. but had to order the sending unit for my shitbox. was supposed to come saturday. was like yay now i can get my truck done this weekend. got kicked in the dick. it still hasnt reached denver yet. and im getting tired of the bullshit and just want my truck to run again. so in a quick rundown i have
a complete EP381 pump
a complete MU1605 from ACDELCO
i am ******* tired of the bullshit and just want my truck to run.
i looked thru alldata and 96/97 use senders for 0empty - 90ohm full
this pump by many websites claim its for a 95-97. MAYBE GM put a 60psi pump in here.. im going to assume so
my only ******* problem is my lines are different. i am a wiring pro so wiring dont scare me. im just worried about line fittings. anyone have any info to chime in thanks i appreciate ya.

Not sure on a 2-door, but the 95 4-door I swapped an Edelbrock MPFI system (Vortec version along with a new L31) onto for a friend of mine that owned it years ago had the Vortec 60 psi bucket style pump from the factory. The 4-doors had the Vortec pump from the beginning. Some of the later TBI Astro/Safari and S10s had the vortec pump as early as 92 as well. ALL of the high pressure TBI units used the Vortec pump as well. Was common on the later 454s and some 350s (governor option) The pump does not control the pressure, the regulator does.

Last edited:

SirArseFace

Reaction score
thanks for the info that cleared up alot of mystery **** for me. i just gotta figure out these adapters now. my fuel sender is still lost in the mail and tomorrow i can contact amazon for a refund