95-98 Steering wheel options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you have to swap out the clockspring as well. In all cases where I've upgraded an older wheel to the newer I was also installing the steering wheel audio controls, which require the coil change anyway.

thats what i came to the conclusion of, not worth it in my case.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
I was just talking physically mounting the wheel. Getting electronics and such working is a whole nother ball game. As I recall, changes in airbags weren't always in line with changes of the column or wheel, so getting the airbag to plug up should always be looked at as application specific.

But I may be wrong, as I'm not well versed in airbags. That's one of those things I'd worry about and look into after the rest of the swap was done.
Though that may not be how you'd want to do this, as I'm sure your reasons for looking into a different steering wheel differ from mine.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I was just talking physically mounting the wheel. Getting electronics and such working is a whole nother ball game. As I recall, changes in airbags weren't always in line with changes of the column or wheel, so getting the airbag to plug up should always be looked at as application specific.

But I may be wrong, as I'm not well versed in airbags. That's one of those things I'd worry about and look into after the rest of the swap was done.
Though that may not be how you'd want to do this, as I'm sure your reasons for looking into a different steering wheel differ from mine.

:think: seeing how the airbag is a MAJOR part of the steering wheel, and you said this earlier

"98-02 steering wheels will fit right on to the 95-97 steering column with no modifications at all. "

you have to change the clock spring, no way around it, we also checked a 1997 airbag, had the same connection as mine...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

CTS-V.

No airbag (my truck is a 2500).

Not a bolt on either. Had to re-cut the splines.

But, if you're determined enough, anything can be made to fit.

Not sure if I would mess around with the SRS though.....last thing I want to be thinking about is if or when it's going to go off. Either in a crash or some stray voltage from a module not compatible with the squib....

Last edited:

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
:think: seeing how the airbag is a MAJOR part of the steering wheel.

Hell, the pre 95 trucks didn't even have airbags. A lot of people don't give a about the airbags. As stated, I was simply referring to the steering wheel splining up to the column correctly, which it does. It does not require changing out most of the steering column or completely removing the column from the truck to tear down and rebuild.
Yes, I should have mentioned that in my first post and I apologize for having not. Guess I've been spending too much time talking to people that don't care about air bag functionality so it's usually not on my mind. My fault.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I broke my clockspring in my 98 doing steering shaft during body lift, will a 96 clock spring work?

I dont want to swap steering wheels either, my 96 is all tore up.