95 4L60E, can only be replaced by 95 4L60E?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so what about an aftermarket trans like the monster hd 2 piece case.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just checked out there site, it's not really aftermarket, the hd version pretty much consist of the common stuff most transmission shops include on a normal 4X4 build. You could build that unit for bout $500-600. Not sure how there warranty is, if it breaks do they pay shipping? This is just my opinion, everyone is intitled to there own, but if your an 4x4 guy that fools with trucks, go talk to your local shops. It's much easier building a relationship with someone you can shake there hand. I sell a good bit on eBay, so I'm kinda contradicting myself, but if I need an engine or something I can't build, I wanna talk to the guy face to face and know if I have a problem I can ride over and he talk to me.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there is really no good automatic trans shops in my area that i would trust. the monster comes with a 3 year warranty. i am putting a new motor in in the spring and want a to put a new trans in because it is a pain to get the trans out. i was just wondering if there would be a prob because idk if it would be a 95 tans i would get.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have any of you guys looked at performabuilt? They're the only company I've found that I can't dig up any bad experiences. I've seen a few unhappy customers with Monster across the forums. LOTS of unhappy FLT customers also.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the thing about an automatic transmission. Nobody is perfect. One cut seal, cut ring, bad part, anything like that can cause problems. There are so many variables in making them work right. Every transmission man has comebacks. It's part of the business. We have a transmission in the shop now that's a AOD out of a mustang that came from a huge internet site. They are good people and built a good transmission, other than one cut o-ring. They are paying the repair bill, sending the parts down, but its a hassle for the customer. I always tell people to find someone local. Ask around, find someone you can trust. Most of the transmission shop site's are good marketers. When it boils down to it, a 700r4 or 4L60E is not hard to build. Most reputable shops use the same parts, every builder has his own little (tricks). Installation is another variable, stacked pumps and cables not adjusted correct is a nightmare.

camoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread. I was wondering. I have a 95 suburban. Could I get the rebuild kits off ebay? They say they are for a 93-95. And still be ok with that rebuild? Its mostly clutch packs and orings and seals.
I have been lurking around reading a lot here. Thanks for all the info

TBI355

Reaction score
i would say no as one uses a 700r4 and a 95 uses a 4l60e

I was always under the impression that all the internals are the same between 700r and 4l60. Just that the 4l60 is computer controlled. BTW, thank you all for the information.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
93 was the first year for the 4L60E, I have heard of a few with 700R4's in them, but I have never actually seen one, and I have owned several 93's myself.