94 to 96 nv4500, oil out of the shifter hole, too much oil, wrong oil, or getting to hot and going to crap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I just installed an nv4500 that I got from a pickapart a few years ago, it looked to be a fresh rebuild when I bought it, but the DA's at the yard emptied the oil out of it.My Chilton's said 9.5 pints of oil so I put in 10 (5 quarts) of royal purple 75w90 synthetic. The trans did a little whining at first then settled down, but then I noticed oil around the shifter seal ( no shifter boot cover installed yet ). When I first noticed it seeping I checked the vent tube and it had been plugged by wasps so I unplugged it but the seeping is still happening (overheat vaporizing the oil?). Any knowledge about this would be appreciated.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Dunno if I'd trust Chilton's for the capacity. My 1994 GM factory service manual indicates 4 quart capacity on the NV4500. The correct fluid is GM part # 12346190 (old #), or the updated # is 10-4119 / 19369226 - it's GM "name" is "Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid" - NOT to be confused with GM's Syncromesh, which you would not use in the NV4500. Syncromesh is for the lighter duty transmissions (NV3500 / 5LM60 / etc.)

If you put 5 quarts of fluid in there I'd say drain it out and put 4 back. It does indeed sound over-filled to me; an extra quart is a lot. I'd also be nervous about using anything other than GM's recommended fluid. It's re-labeled Castrol Syntorq LT (spec btw is 75W-85 GL-4) which was developed by Castrol specifically for the NV4500 and the carbon-fiber syncros used in that trans. Wrong lube can cause you lots of grief and expense. Many brands claim to be "compatible" but they're not the one footing the bill when your pricey transmission goes bad.

Richard

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, it may just be an overfill then, if that is the case I will just let it vent out to the point that it stops on its own. As to the royal purple, everyone here that has said that it is the best and I am not paying GM for what they want for a quart of oil, that would cost more than I paid for the truck. If the tranny craps out on me I will switch it over to an sm420 because the only reason GM put stupid @$$ed carbon fiber syncros in a transmission was to speed the self-destruction of the vehicle, which is why I wont buy a new one, as well as over inflated prices and the fact that they still claim they cant get a sequential fuel injected 454 dually to get more than 8 MPG loaded (The same MPG my 67 carbureted dually gets without the computerized crap on it.), which is pure BS due to them being in bed with the oil companies.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
You know New Venture gear designed that trans, not GM. Dodge used it too. They use special fluid because they had problems with overheating of the gear teeth at a micro level as well. DON'T USE THE WRONG FLUID.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You know New Venture gear designed that trans, not GM. Dodge used it too. They use special fluid because they had problems with overheating of the gear teeth at a micro level as well. DON'T USE THE WRONG FLUID.
If he read the sticker on the side of the transmission he'd see the part #'s for both GM and Dodge's re-labeled Castrol Syntorq LT.. but there seems to be a reluctance to believe words. Won't pay what GM wants for the proper lube but will lay out the bucks for Royal Purple! :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
x2 on the fluid, dont use the wrong sht. Amsoil MTG specifically lists NV4500 in its uses, Royal Purple does not. If you keep running the purple stuff, I'll gladly buy your trans for scrap value when the syncros turn WiFi and I'll put brass ones in and be happy and a cats meow when shifting an NV4500.

FYI, I get over 13mpg in my 97 k3500 dually with factory fuel injection, it can be done with proper maintenance.