The Official Way to Improve Gas Mileage and Use Less Gas Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Nice info. I keep my foot pretty light. Gets me 16-18 MPG. What is the air lid flip thing?

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Nice info. I keep my foot pretty light. Gets me 16-18 MPG. What is the air lid flip thing?

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

on pre-vortec engines the sir cleaner sits right on top of the throttle body like any other old car and you flip the lid over exposing the air filter to get more air in vs. the stock intake path which is anemic.

93blackthunder

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok would putting vortec heads on a tbi 4.3 chip and underdrive pulleys increase mpg? I figure it would considering its pretty much free power right? and would putting in a very mild cam new rockers and springs also help or would that probably lower?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything that reduces frictional losses and drag should help a bit, some more than others. If you can keep your right foot from hammering down every time you drive it, and get a decent tune, you should see more power and economy.