GMT400 4L60e to T56 swap write up *dialup warning*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevynigga57

Reaction score
hey a 1996 2wd chevy 1500 with the vortec 350, is there anyway i could do a automatic to maual transmission swap on a vortec 350, and does the vortec 350 use the same transmission as the 1988-1995 350 tbi transmission

zachwild101

Reaction score
so i have read threw this a few times and did some long hard research and i went ahead and bit the bullet i got me a 95 f body with a 383lt1 and a t56 that had some pack rat electrical damage.
so hopefully this month ill be starting my swap into my 98 c1500
i went to the junk yard and sourced a 90s clutch pedal i also found a 98 auto truck out there with out the dash on it and it seemed as if the 90s pedal will fit. can anyone confirm this???
i hid the clutch pedal cause i wasn't sure if it will work ill be going back today to get it haha
the f body came with a pretty nice clutch so ill be trying that out as well

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a great thread, but I'm wondering if anyone can comment whether the process of the 4L60 would be much the same as a 4L80 to T56? I haven't seen any successful 4L80e to T56 swaps on any forums. Much appreciated...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is a great thread, but I'm wondering if anyone can comment whether the process of the 4L60 would be much the same as a 4L80 to T56? I haven't seen any successful 4L80e to T56 swaps on any forums. Much appreciated...

As mentioned in the first post of this thread, 4L60Es and T56s are the same length. 4L80Es are longer and use a different mounting point. Swapping from 4L80E to T56 would mean moving the crossmember and mount forward on the frame, and you'd probably need a new (longer) driveshaft.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As mentioned in the first post of this thread, 4L60Es and T56s are the same length. 4L80Es are longer and use a different mounting point. Swapping from 4L80E to T56 would mean moving the crossmember and mount forward on the frame, and you'd probably need a new (longer) driveshaft.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. It's only that T56 are common over here and NV4500's are as rare as unicorns. Moving the mounts and shortening the driveshaft I think is not too bad, I'm more concerned about when the engine and gearbox mount if you have any info on that?

I'm surprised it's not more common a procedure over there, but I guess you have easy access to a NV4500 if you needed one.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. It's only that T56 are common over here and NV4500's are as rare as unicorns. Moving the mounts and shortening the driveshaft I think is not too bad, I'm more concerned about when the engine and gearbox mount if you have any info on that?

I'm surprised it's not more common a procedure over there, but I guess you have easy access to a NV4500 if you needed one.

Like I said, going from an 80E to a T56 you'd actually need a longer driveshaft, not a shorter one. And the crossmember would need to be moved closer to the engine. Pretty sure that's what you meant but I wanted to clarify.

As far as mating the transmission to the engine there really shouldn't be any issues. The bellhousing should bolt right up. The only thing I can think of that you'd need to research would be what flywheel to use. I'm no help on that one, sorry.

GMT454

Reaction score
I wanna change from a TR3340 to a T56 and have to conirm if driveshaft length is the same as the ones with 700 R4

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks again for the info. Shortening the drive shaft - copy. Shouldn't bee too big a problem, and moving the mounts doesn't seem too bad. I guess the best way to check is to try it.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reading through this thread as well at googling it, of course, but not finding what I'm looking for, looking to swap my 94 5.7 tbi 4l60e 2wd for a lm7 or possibly a lc9 wanting to run a t56 behind that, anyone know where I could find some info I might have overlooked? I've seen people swap the 4l60 for the t56 but none with either of the engines im lookin at.