94 k1500 Tune Up Kit???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adb5274.ab

Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of building a RCSB 94 Chevy k1500 4x4

I want to put new cap, rotor, plugs, wires in it before I put it on the road and am wondering what brand everyone is using? Would like to just buy a kit with everything included. Looking for a good reliable setup with the most bang for my buck, not building a race motor.

I've seen the Summit Racing Volt Max X-treme kit for $65, has anyone used this kit??
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-868858cr/overview/

The truck also came with a new ignition pickup coil, the guy I bought it form wasn't sure why it was in the truck when he bought it. It runs fine but would it be worth it to throw it in while I'm at it? Do they commonly fail?

I also plan on running some Seafoam through the brake vacuum, throttle body, oil, and gas tank before I do the tune up. Trying to cover all my bases before I make the truck my daily driver. Any thing else I should go over?? I'm in no need to drive the truck soon so if I can be proactive and avoid and future problems I'm going to.

Just tore the truck apart this week, had a used six inch lift laying around I picked up for cheap I plan on installing this weekend along with a set of 3.73s as it came with 3.42s. Also picked up a 5spd to covert from auto. Just repaired all 6 body mounts yesterday and put a 3in body lift and new body bushings on it. Purchased a true dual exhaust from summit made by hooker that looks like it may work great, just needs mufflers and pieced/welded together, although im going to try to make it work with exhaust manifolds and it is attended for long tube headers.
May post some picks in the next week or two!

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Most of the guys around here are gonna recommend you replace your cap, rotor, plugs, and wires with ACDelco

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cap and rotor I use the borgwarner from oriellys. I only use the brass terminal ones though...

Wires....i HATE "universal" factory length wires with a passion.... i get the msd cut to fit wires. They come with the crimping tool(need a vise or other tool to squweze the tool together, i alwaus use visegrips) and everything. You just cut to length you need depending on the way you wanna run the wires and crimp on the end and slide on the boot...

Don't forget about your air filter, fuel filter, and pcv valve.

sent from what use to be a great country..

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
ignition tune up, fuel filter, clean out all your sensors and check that they work, trans filter, oil change, diff fluids while you have apart, check your o2's and exhaust leaks and all that, check all your fluids once your done, check tire pressures etc etc. all done with a tune up done at my house.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^ Always forget too mention the fluid checks and changes.. alway a good thing too do especially if the vehicles new to you and you dont know its history. Then you can put it on your maintenence schedule.

sent from what use to be a great country..

Hunttman01

resident sh't starter
Reaction score
Bwd cap and rotor. I used cheap plugs and wires. Plugs are auto lite. Don't remember what wires were

sent from the tractor cab

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
An ignition pickup coil is located inside the distributor base and rarely fails? Maybe under extreme conditions or simply mileage, but it is not often worth changing as it is extremely labor-intensive(ish) - time consuming to say the least.
For the cost of the part INCLUDING the labor, most people (myself included) will simply buy an entirely new distributor in order to avoid changing it.
Since you are looking at a major tune up anyways, this is may be a better option for you. I am a Jeg's man, I don't run Summit anything so I can not speak of their parts in truth.
My 12 second Monte Carlo SS runs a Jeg's brand "Street Spark" distributor , and they come "loaded". Meaning with a performance module, cap and rotor in them, ready to run. If you're me, i'm runnin this.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...6/10002/-1?parentProductId=772089#moreDetails

That is one fine piece of truck part, IMO.
I too run MSD brand, pre-cut wires.

In all honesty, you are wasting a lot of time and effort not to mention HORSEPOWER running stock manifolds. That's a sad thought, really it is.

Last edited:

adb5274.ab

Reaction score
thanks for the advise guys,

"Rusty Nail" are headers really worth buying for a stock tbi motor?? I wanted a true dual exhaust just because I like the way they sound and the exhaust I bought outa summit was only $180 vs having an exhaust shop do it for $400+. I figured headers wouldn't do much for my stock motor but I did consider buying the hooker headers from summit for around $230ish for my truck. figured id save some cash because this is a very budget build but if they will make a big difference I will entertain the thought further?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
headers and a good exhaust would do alot, duals wont do anything but give you the sound you want as opposed to a properly setup exhaust. ive been impressed with the ebay stainless headers and they fit budget better. for a stock motor get some shorties or mids, long tubes are a bit much and youll lose some lower end which a tbi is meant for, not for the higher end of the power curve where the tbi heads run out at.

adb5274.ab

Reaction score
how much would adding a proper "x-pipe" to my dual exhaust affect the sound of it?? Ive never added one to any of my exhaust. I always just run true duals with glasspacks and no cats because I love that sound but Ive heard a x-pipe will help add power. would the sound change much? and is the power added worth the hassle of adding a x-pipe?