94 c2500 sierra tbi350 2 engine temperature sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I go to RockAuto and follow the menus for my (in this case yours) vehicle.

Intake, for computer: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1309928&cc=1033175&pt=4748&jsn=526
Note, it has 2 terminals

Head, for gauge: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=40504&cc=1033175&pt=4748&jsn=524
Note, 1 terminal

I've never found one that is called out as "specifically for computer." I've replaced them with a 2 terminal sensor and they've worked. There is also a ground on one of the thermostat housing studs. You should clean that when replacing the CTS. What is the temp of the rad hose when checking it with an IR thermometer?

Others can chime in if there are differences..
I'll check with my IR thermometer when I get home

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it smells rich while running, stopped at a light its running rough unless i put it in park or neutral. And then my tempature guage has never went higher then this
Don't replace parts until you've done proper diagnosis.

First Guess: your thermostat is faulty, the engine never warms up to proper operating temperature. Of course it runs rich, probably fouls spark plugs, and therefore runs rough. I bet you can replace the temp sensor and it doesn't run a bit different. More likely, need a thermostat.

But none of that should be taken as "fact". Connect a scan tool, find out what temperature the computer thinks the engine is running at. If it matches the gauge within reason, you've likely got a bad 'stat. Or drop a thermometer in the radiator coolant, or point an infra-red thermometer at the radiator hose.

Reaction score
Don't replace parts until you've done proper diagnosis.

First Guess: your thermostat is faulty, the engine never warms up to proper operating temperature. Of course it runs rich, probably fouls spark plugs, and therefore runs rough. I bet you can replace the temp sensor and it doesn't run a bit different. More likely, need a thermostat.

But none of that should be taken as "fact". Connect a scan tool, find out what temperature the computer thinks the engine is running at. If it matches the gauge within reason, you've likely got a bad 'stat. Or drop a thermometer in the radiator coolant, or point an infra-red thermometer at the radiator hose.
I was thinking the same thing. It's just been so cold here I haven't wanted to go out and do the work. The guy at the auto store sold me the gasket and the tube of gasket maker. Should I use both?

Attachments

• 20240227_200617.jpg
    20240227_200617.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240227_200720.jpg
    20240227_200720.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240227_200716.jpg
    20240227_200716.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 3

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy at the auto store sold me the gasket and the tube of gasket maker. Should I use both?
No. Gasket Maker is not the same as gasket sealer. Fel-Pro says their gaskets don't need sealer. Not sure I'm buying into that, adding Gasgacinch or High Tack or CopperCoat to a gasket seems very natural to me, and I've had good results.

DO NOT put RTV Silicone on a gasket. Gasket Makers are used instead of a gasket, not applied-to a gasket.

If this were me, I'd return the gasket maker, and get a gasket sealer instead. Gasgacinch is my current favorite, but there's a dozen products and they all work more-or-less equally well.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can use " ACDelco.com " it's even easier if you input your VIN it will know what vehicle you are then select your parts. Or copy the part numbers and use those to shop around.
Another good one for at least part numbers " GMPARTSGIANT.com" something use your VIN much easier.

Jason_Staggs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you’ve got a multimeter you can check the resistances of the sender and sensor and compare those to each other and your actual coolant temp that should help with your diag. Also, just in my experience, the gasket itself is good enough to seal the neck at the thermostat but it never hurts to have insurance.

Reaction score
No. Gasket Maker is not the same as gasket sealer. Fel-Pro says their gaskets don't need sealer. Not sure I'm buying into that, adding Gasgacinch or High Tack or CopperCoat to a gasket seems very natural to me, and I've had good results.

DO NOT put RTV Silicone on a gasket. Gasket Makers are used instead of a gasket, not applied-to a gasket.

If this were me, I'd return the gasket maker, and get a gasket sealer instead. Gasgacinch is my current favorite, but there's a dozen products and they all work more-or-less equally well.
Appreciate that info alot. I'm going to get some gasgacinch today then.