94 c2500 sierra tbi350 2 engine temperature sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Wanted to replace my engine tempature sensor due to rough idle. When I look up how to do it I think there's 2 sensors? The videos I watch only ever show one being changed. So first question are both these engine temperature sensors? If so are they the same part?
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20240227_090853.jpg
    20240227_090853.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 5

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you have two. No, they aren’t the same part. The one in the intake near the thermostat housing is the sensor for your computer and is 2 wire. The one in the head is for your coolant temp gauge in your cluster and is 1 wire.

What issues are you having?

Reaction score
Yes, you have two. No, they aren’t the same part. The one in the intake near the thermostat housing is the sensor for your computer and is 2 wire. The one in the head is for your coolant temp gauge in your cluster and is 1 wire.

Thank you fancyTBI, Are they called different things? When I went to autozone they had two options for coolant tempature sensors, they looked the same to me but one came with the wiring for two wires. And the other came with nothing but the sensor.

Reaction score

Also thanks for mentioning that the other sensor was supposed to only have one wire. I was over here stressing the other wiring got cut.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you fancyTBI, Are they called different things? When I went to autozone they had two options for coolant tempature sensors, they looked the same to me but one came with the wiring for two wires. And the other came with nothing but the sensor.
Every time I’ve wanted to walk into a parts store and buy one they never were any help. I always went in with the numbers I needed. Let me look on RockAuto and find some info for you. One moment.

Reaction score

So it smells rich while running, stopped at a light its running rough unless i put it in park or neutral. And then my tempature guage has never went higher then this

Attachments

• 20240227_094012.jpg
    20240227_094012.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Every time I’ve wanted to walk into a parts store and buy one they never were any help. I always went in with the numbers I needed. Let me look on RockAuto and find some info for you. One moment.
I really appreciate that. Can I ask how your finding the part numbers? Just a Google search or what? Trying to get a little more competent on working on my truck

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate that. Can I ask how your finding the part numbers? Just a Google search or what? Trying to get a little more competent on working on my truck
I go to RockAuto and follow the menus for my (in this case yours) vehicle.

Intake, for computer: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1309928&cc=1033175&pt=4748&jsn=526
Note, it has 2 terminals

Head, for gauge: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=40504&cc=1033175&pt=4748&jsn=524
Note, 1 terminal

I've never found one that is called out as "specifically for computer." I've replaced them with a 2 terminal sensor and they've worked. There is also a ground on one of the thermostat housing studs. You should clean that when replacing the CTS. What is the temp of the rad hose when checking it with an IR thermometer?

Others can chime in if there are differences..

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The links above from @fancyTBI reference the names correctly. The single wire for the gauge is referenced as a sender, the two wire for the ecm is called a sensor
Huh, you know I never even gave any thought to that. I appreciate you pointing that out for us! Keeper keepin us smart.