93 K1500 4.3L V6 consuming oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NEChevyowner

Reaction score
I bought a used 93 K1500 with the V6, this past fall. I changed the oil right after I bought it. The truck has 193285 mi on it now. I put 3000 on it since I bought it.
I just checked the dipstick today, before I came home from work - and the oil was down a little over a quart?
Should I be concerned here? I know it has high mileage. I have had other vehicles with close to 130000 miles, which didn't burn any oil. These vehicles were bought new by myself, and broken in according to the owner's manual. I have no knowledge of the history of the K1500. All I know is it was a farm truck. Any input here is appreciated!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I second checking the plugs, that'll tell ya what's going on. Just under a quart after 3k doesn't sound so bad. The old 350 in my K1500 chugged a quart every 4-500 miles. Rings were shot on that ole dog. Had 225k on it. The "new" engine has 143 on it now and is down 3/4 of a quart after 3,400 miles. I'm running Valvoline 5w-40 SynPower, with this engine and the one it replaced. Old dudes tell me these older engines don't like synthetic oil but this is a contradiction.

NEChevyowner

Reaction score
Evil and Derrick. Sorry about the late reply. Been tied up with work. The 93 doesn't smoke on startup, or when you steep on the gas hard.
I replaced the plugs, and gave her a tune up and oil change, after I bought it. The old plugs didn't look too bad. The check engine light comes on and off. Bi am pretty sure it's the 02 sensor? Haven't checked codes yet? The motor smells like it's running a little Rich? I changed the pcv, but haven't cleaned or replaced the egr. Thanks for the input!

NEChevyowner

Reaction score
I'm running Quaker State 5W30 high mileage oil right now.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If its not smoking and the plugs all looked relatively uniform, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. just keep up with checking the oil and keep going. probably just a small leak somewhere.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
If it is not smoking and you have no leaks iwould run a compression test to verify that the rings have a satisfactory seal. If the comp test is good my next move would be to change the intake gaskets out for new Fel-pro gaskets. If they have never been done the factory gasket can fail and the intake runners can pull oil into the combustion chambers.