93 Factory Radio repair options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeinthepnw

Reaction score
I hear you, and feel your pain. My 1990 has the factory radio. It works, but FM volume is very low, compared to the AM stations, so I've been driving around for months, listening to one AM station that is not talk radio, lol. Recently, I noticed the clock is not keeping the correct time.

I know many guys are happy with the Crutchfield retro radio, but I don't need Bluetooth or an AUX input even ... I'd just be happy to listen to good ol' FM radio. I like the look of the original radio ... I just want it to work. It's probably a bad CDM. I found one at a local junkyard (these trucks are getting harder to find in the boneyard), but it did't resolve the problem. I tried calling the car stereo rebuilder in Florida, but they don't answer the phone, or return phone calls. I may have to try my chances with an OEM unit off eBay, but they are asking crazy money for old electronics.

I'm 0-1 on the factory replacement from Ebay, so I ordered the Retrosound. I would also prefer the factory unit, but the retro sound unit is as close as it'll get. I don't like moving a single din to the middle of the dash, just not my style. I would be fine with FM alone as well if the factory unit worked but the bluetooth/aux will be nice to have at the same time.

JohnB

Reaction score
To anyone who installed the Retro Santa Cruz M1A radio, is there a way to display the clock (time) with this radio on? I've installed this radio, and documentation is limited. Clock only displays when radio is off.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To anyone who installed the Retro Santa Cruz M1A radio, is there a way to display the clock (time) with this radio on? I've installed this radio, and documentation is limited. Clock only displays when radio is off.
My M2 does. My manual says how to set it up.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
On my Retrosound unit, you can hold the bottom control button for three seconds and the display menu comes up. You can cycle through until you see clock on or off. On will display the clock during radio operation after a few seconds of tuning to your frequency/station. I think I have that right. Top control knob pushed in is mostly sound controls and bottom is system control.

JohnB

Reaction score
Johnckhall... On the M1A, CLK ON/OFF displays time (or not) with the radio OFF. Contacted RetroMfg. Procedure thay gave me is for the Retro Classic (right and left volume/control knobs). I modified their instructions for the Santa Cruz M1A. I previously contacted Retro on the lack of meaningful documentation on this series.

Display Frequency/Clock
This sub-menu sets the screen to display either the radio station you’re
listening to, (DISP FREQ), or the current time (CLK).
To access the DISP sub-menu, press and hold the Bottom Knob for
three seconds. Cycle through the menu options until DISP FREQ appears
on the screen. Press and release the Bottom Knob to select either
DSIP FREQ or DISP CLK. Once the desired setting is shown, let the unit
time out to set.

Set to DISP CLK, when you change stations, the display shows station info, then times out to display time.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Johnckhall... On the M1A, CLK ON/OFF displays time (or not) with the radio OFF. Contacted RetroMfg. Procedure thay gave me is for the Retro Classic (right and left volume/control knobs). I modified their instructions for the Santa Cruz M1A. I previously contacted Retro on the lack of meaningful documentation on this series.

Display Frequency/Clock
This sub-menu sets the screen to display either the radio station you’re
listening to, (DISP FREQ), or the current time (CLK).
To access the DISP sub-menu, press and hold the Bottom Knob for
three seconds. Cycle through the menu options until DISP FREQ appears
on the screen. Press and release the Bottom Knob to select either
DSIP FREQ or DISP CLK. Once the desired setting is shown, let the unit
time out to set.

Set to DISP CLK, when you change stations, the display shows station info, then times out to display time.
That's right! I have mine set to display clock instead of frequency. I was trying from memory to tell you how. I should have looked it up instead. I'm glad you got the answer you were looking for.