93 Factory Radio repair options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaydee1445

Reaction score
93 Suburban Cheyenne 4wd factory radio powers on and changes functions but will not raise or lower function setting such as incresase volume or tune stations. Not checked fuses yet but thinking it is the amp/brain box. Doesn’t have tape or CD. Considering ditching factory for dbl din but hate the look of those install kits that loose the cupholder. Also I would like to keep original radio on this restoration.
I would do the aux input hack if I repair OE radio. What amp do I need? Is there a complete list of what amp are compatible with my head unit?
I would also consider buying a new retro radio but all that I found I have rotary dials and don’t match the 93 pushbutton look.
On another note I posted in the welcome thread for n00bs.

Last edited:

steveed

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the retrosound and it's a nice setup, probably as close to OEM looking as you can find. Currently truck is too loud to use any of the handsfree stuff.

stafford0620

Reaction score
Any luck? I would suggest changing the CDM under the dash that controls the headunit. I attached a link to a forum that will show you which numbers match for the different styles. I had a single din radio when I bought my 94 Blazer. I hated it and hooked up the original radio. Hope this helps.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was my gut reaction when I read your post.

Is there any way you can test another head unit, to see if therein lays your issue?
I do not believe that the CDM controlls this, but as I have understood it's the "brains" of the stereo - the functions are separate from the "brains".

I recently had a crash course in CDM's;
While I was at it I grabbed a whole spare factory radio setup while they are easily had from local wreckers.
(the linked thread in Staffod's post before mine, actually refers to my own findings HERE)

TexasRaized

Reaction score
93 Suburban Cheyenne 4wd factory radio powers on and changes functions but will not raise or lower function setting such as incresase volume or tune stations. Not checked fuses yet but thinking it is the amp/brain box. Doesn’t have tape or CD. Considering ditching factory for dbl din but hate the look of those install kits that loose the cupholder. Also I would like to keep original radio on this restoration.
I would do the aux input hack if I repair OE radio. What amp do I need? Is there a complete list of what amp are compatible with my head unit?
I would also consider buying a new retro radio but all that I found I have rotary dials and don’t match the 93 pushbutton look.
On another note I posted in the welcome thread for n00bs.