92 Truck+Camper Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea, I have got to do mine too. When I rebuilt my diff in February, I drove the new seal in a little to far. Its been leaking since, but for a while, I thought it was my diff cover. Well, no, it's the seal. So glad I used a crush sleeve eliminator kit. That nut has about 250 FT LBS, on it, and I used some blue lock tight on it. Guess I will replace the seal at our shop. That way, I have a torch if I need it, and we have a 3/4 drive impact. Big Bertha should get it off. The leak is very small, so maybe I will put it off for a while, untill it cools off some. It's frickin hot rite now.

Last edited:

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad to hear I am not the only one goofing the pinion seal lol. Makes me feel less of a turkey. No leaks on mine (yet). I also haven't driven the truck much, ill keep an eye on it. Thought i could hear a very slight ticking noise, assumed it was the pinion rubbing on the seal. Its since gone, I'll keep an eye (ear) on that too!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glad to hear I am not the only one goofing the pinion seal lol. Makes me feel less of a turkey. No leaks on mine (yet). I also haven't driven the truck much, ill keep an eye on it. Thought i could hear a very slight ticking noise, assumed it was the pinion rubbing on the seal. Its since gone, I'll keep an eye (ear) on that too!
I am very happy with my rebuild. It's not making any noise at all. I put in an Eaton trueteac and some 373 gears. Since I am running 275/60-15 tires, that combo works grate, LOL untill you fill up at the gas pump anyway. When I set the pinion seal, I was thinking there was a boss that the sale fit into. Well wrong, there is no boss, so I just drove the seal on to far. I knew then what I had done, but I did the rebuild at work, so although the owner let me do the work, I didn't want to take the extra time to fix it. I left it overnight with oil in it, and it was fine. It is such a small leak, it took a few days to show itself. I have a new Timken seal sitting in my center console just waiting to be installed. I do drive my truck everyday, but I don't go very far any more. I can put it off for a while. I'll just check the oil for time to time.