92 Truck+Camper Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next: new ignition control module (ICM) & ignition coil (IC), PVC valve + hose, oil + filter.

(Ok, ok, we are up to about July/August 2020 now...)

After the previous rounds of maintenance, I was still having a hot stall issue. It would usually only happen after a longer drive (over an hour), but it was consistent. I was also getting a stumble while idling in gear and the tach was randomly bouncing. Not physically raising the RPM, but the tach gauge would bounce, while sitting at a red light for example.

Back in post #41, I had this problem "fixed" by a shop a few years back. Well, upon closer inspection myself (and a few years of self taught mechanics under my belt later), they had replaced the ICM with a P.O.S generic parts store brand. I had read dozens of posts (mostly on here) about the bad track record for our trucks vs. generic ICMs.

The IC terminal post was also damaged, seemed suspect. I tested the plug wires, they all ohm'ed out to spec ok. Check all grounds etc. Basically did a once over on the Ignition system, cleaned and gapped the spark plugs.

So... a new AC Delco ICM & IC went in. Pretty straightforward job, used a good dollop of dielectric grease under the ICM. I also cleaned all grounds to bare metal, added a new big braided ground strap from block to frame, and replaced block to firewall ground with 2 ga wire, the OEM one was totally broken into two. I love the crazy s.h.1.t we find on these old trucks.

While I was at it, I did a few other some things. Ran seafoam top engine cleaner through the intake at 2000 RPM. Took the truck for a good rip, lots of heavy throttle, then let it heat soak for 15 mins before draining the oil. Installed new oil & filter, and a new PCV valve.

For good measure, I ran the truck at idle for awhile while I checked for vaacum leaks. The poor quality Dorman PCV hose I had previously replaced leaked. I dont recommend this product BTW, very crap. I threw it in the trash and cut a length of left over oil cooler line I had lying around. It fit snug and I had no more leaks. Better than it was.

I also listened for the stumble, all gone. The truck has been running smooth since! Good times.

(Ill go look for some pics for you all...)

Last edited:

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another upgrade: Front Headlights, marker lights, wiring harness hell & some interior goodies

New front headlamps
New headlamp bulbs - Phillips 9005/6XV
New front turn/signal lamps
New rear bulbs
Headlight harness rebuild - reduced voltage drop & improved grounds.
Headlight switch & bezel - GM Genuine
Head unit - Kenwood KMM-BT328U
OEM GM Genuine Speakers

Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After:

Way more better!

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Parked the pig here for 3 months. Looking forward to having Fridays off for the summer.

Addressed some minor items, fixed the leaking rad cap. New cap, reservoir hose, cleaned reservoir. Problem solved. Old gas in the tank, added some Seafoam high mileage additive. Brought new air filter, fuel filter, TB gasket, ran out of time but will throw them on while it's parked.

Tried different air pressures, lowered bag pressure to engage overloads more. Had about 60 psi this time. Seemed more stable. I am still dialing it in but i am happy so far.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sick. Looks like your SAS'd it? How do you find the lift, does it make it all top heavy wobbles?

What powertrain you running?

More pics....!

ZacMoto

Reaction score
The front is still IFS with 4" SuperLift kit. I'm running a HelWig rear swaybar, air bags and custom-valved King Shocks, so no sway issues at all. 5.7L TBI with Edelbroke headers, intake manifold, hi-flow cat, ADS offroad superchip, 5 speed with 4:56 gears.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right on. Great work, I dig it.

You still rocking the 4+1 leafs out back? I am but find them too light, the 8600gvw 5+1 leaf pack would work better, as a minimum.

Any mods to the front end steering/suspension?

Curious, whats your rig weigh? Camper & all.

Again, nice work!