92 TBI 350. Motor troubles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello everyone! First post regarding issues with the truck. Seeking out for some help.

Couple issues.

-A couple weeks ago I hard troubles with the starter itself. When I would first start the truck the starter would not engage with the flexplate. Sometimes it would be once, sometimes it would be a couple times when I hit the ignition that it would not engage. This problem has not been an issue for a little while so I am thinking this cold weather had something to do with it. (Perhaps the cold made the bendix gear stick?. I did not own the truck long before winter so cant say if it did in summer as well or not.)

-Today I had taken the truck out for a drive, and it had not started or driven for a little. I always let it warm up before taking off in Winter either way. Drove around town for a little while, and stopped at some places. After cruising, we had went to the gas station. Put $30 in it, and tried to fire it up. I found that the motor would only crank, but would not start. Had been cranking for a little while, with intervals to let starter cool. Engine was close/if not at full operating temp. Was a little embarrassing, but after maybe 1 minute we tried again and it fired.

Between the time we got gas, and when we first started it at home, we had shut it off but had no problems with starting. After we got it fired up at gas station we took it for bit of a drive. Had not drove for a bit so wanted to get the injectors squirting again for periods of time. After the drive we had went home and parked it back in its spot. After we parked it, I wanted to see if it would start again. I tried 3 times after shutting it off, but it had started all 3 times. Only problem was that it took slightly longer to fire up, also when it fired up it revved up higher than it normally would. I THINK it went up to 1400-1600 when it first fired, only for a second and it idled down to normal idle RPM. *Rich injection from the injectors maybe?*

I had been thinking a fuel pump might to be blame for the problem? I am unsure if the motor had not been getting fuel, or if it had not been getting spark when we tried at gas station.

Note: A week or two ago I pulled 2 plugs on drivers bank. (Cylinder 1 and 3. I noticed that plug 1 had normal wear on it. I pulled 3 and it had been carbon fouled. Unsure of the other plugs as I have not pulled them out. I did notice that the carbon fouled plug smelt like raw fuel.)

Any help? Don't want to bring the truck out again. I fear that when I shut it off again it wont start, and will be somewhere embarrassing.

-Rylen