92 k1500 brake lights not working need help wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stenny

Reaction score
My 92 k1500 brake lights arent working. i replaced brake switch but i noticed the orange wire was not connected not sure what it connects to. i tested brake switch and when brake is depressed the purple wire gets power not sure why signal is not going to taillights. I will run a new wire to back but what do i hook it to? do i need orange wire? it seems like brake wire would connect to same wire that controls the the blinkers at the taillight but how would that work?

Last edited:

Yadipaul

Reaction score
my truck had the same problem but when I turned my blinker on both brake lights lit up. The next day I checked for a ground issue and that fixed the issue.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Did you test the brake switch before you replaced it? Generally throwing parts at a problem is the wrong way to go about fixing it. Do you have a wiring diagram for your truck?

stenny

Reaction score
Did you test the brake switch before you replaced it? Generally throwing parts at a problem is the wrong way to go about fixing it. Do you have a wiring diagram for your truck?

i have 2 repair manuals with wiring diagrams but nothing is matching up with my car the brake switch colored wires arent matching with my truck like something is crossed or wired wrong. on brake switch wiring: purple wire has power when brake is depressed, but the white wire is suppose to be powered when brake is depressed, also the yellow wire is not connected

where was the bad ground you found located? i would like to check that:hmm: